Gouging by Orchids Limited II: The kovachii Hybrids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silence882

Horse whisperer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my informal disclaimer:
I am not ranting about what people should or shouldn't be allowed to do. I am ranting about what they should or shouldn't do.

While working on the kovachii page today, I went to Orchids Limited's website and discovered that they have added kovachii hybrid futures to their list of overpriced items for sale. Compare the $225 seedling 'futures' they have to the $75 actual seedlings that Piping Rock has (as shown by Heather):

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190

The ridiculous we-will-give-you-store-credit-for-the-50%-deposit-not-a-refund-if-we-can't-fulfill-your-order term is still in place.

I realize that it's a buyer-beware world, but that kinda pricing is profiteering at its finest.

--Stephen

note: edited because as zach pointed out, the deposit part was unclear

I'm pretty sure they take half the price as the deposit, thus the amount that you would 'lose' should something fall through. Still, there is more cash and more risk involved with OL.

agreed. while they've never been known to have competitive prices (or shipping for that matter, which is a pet peeve of mine), the quality tends to make up for that. but this whole "50% up front with store credit should anything happen to the plants" i.e. NONREFUNDABLE money doesn't appeal to me. sure you can do whatever you want but that's why I put some money down for a couple futures from Chuck Acker (which appear to be cheaper anyway)--if something fell through his policy was a full refund of the deposit.

Chuck got his plants from the same source as did OL (PeruFlora). So if OL's plants turn out not to be kovachii, it's likely Chuck's aren't either. Stick with Piping Rock -- his are from the other Peruvian vendor, Alfredo Manrique, and there are no shady deals there. If you are from Canada, the souce is Green Canyon Orchids. His are also from Manrique.

Heather said:
If these plants turn out not to be kovachii related, what then?

(there, I said it.)

The **** hits the fan!

Legally speaking, I think vendors can only be held liable for the purchase price of whatever they sell you. For example, if you buy a $100 flask of yellowpaph from vendor A, grow out the seedlings and then sell them to various buyers for $400, who then flower them to discover they're greenpaph instead, you're liable to your buyers for $400 and vendor A is liable to you for only $100.

--Stephen

or you could do the OZ and just forget that you sold phony sanderianums. a few years ago a Taiwanese grower cheated a bunch of people by selling sandy hybrids that all bloomed like jerry spence. not sure which it was, but the name "sun moon" rings a bell.