got close to my favorite flower

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MoreWater

at the NYBG. This thing is fairly big - peduncles a few feet long.

Strongylodon macrobotrys, aka jade vine. Pollinated by bats. There's a bad pic of the vine here - move your mouse over the pic to see where the peduncles are.

I saw this one in flower at the Huntington Library conservatory in San Marino. It was the most unusual shade of green turquoise. I've never seen that color in a flower!
Stunning!
Peter.

So those are the flowers? I couldn't access the vine photo -- pretty cool though...I'm starting to get into other plants (horrors! I know - and it's all you people's fault! Succulents, gesneriads, these bat things...not to mention the natives!!! ARGH! Next thing you know I'll actually start to like begonias...Noooooo!!!!!) :sob:

Sorry Heather, I've fixed the link. This one is beyond growing at home, I think.

Nice, Last year when EOrchids & I went to NYBG we posted a photo of the plant [tree] from further back. I think there's a pink/orange plant on the other side.

There is another vine that is as spectacular which comes from New Guinea. Its called Red Jade Vine. (Mucuna bennetii). I Borrowed this picture this is not mine.

Ramon:)

Red Jade Vine
red_jade.jpg

Latest posts

Back