• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Good Phrag. besseae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Okay, I’ve hunted around the forum, I’ve asked some people, I’ve been all over the internet, and I’m still getting nowhere…wtf is going on with besseae availability? Back when I was last growing, the OZ batch was out and they were dime a dozen… Did any of those get crossed back to some of the more classic varieties? Where are they? Who has them? Does anyone have a viable source?

On a related note, has anyone started any sort of a master thread of vendors that have closed or retired or been sold to other people? I think people coming back to the hobby would find that very useful! I’m really struggling to find good Phrags available in the US other than Woodstream and Orchids Limited (not currently available and I’d rather not spend an arm AND a leg.) and Zephyrus won’t ship to CA, Eric…

I’ve even resorted to pestering Ecuagenera (they have a store in Southern CA now…) on their live Instagram houseplant sales. Maybe some day I’ll wear them down…😂

Thanks everyone!

Last year I bought two besseae from windy hill gardens. Both bloomed. One was nice and one was great. It was bigger, redder and had better form than either of my AM divisions. She might have some left.

I also recently repotted my besseae 'Ester Nies'. When they establish, I'll have two extra divisions.

Ri

I have a lot of Orchid Inn's plants and in theory all of the flasks still in the lab. Didn't have room to take all the plants though. A few besseae... :) I have been buying a lot of Chuck's flask and growing them out, so if you want bigger plants I might have them. I mostly buy small growing stuff though.

If anybody is looking for Taylor Orchids (Monroe, MI), I took all his plants when he closed. That was several years ago now. Still have a lot of the mutiflorals.

Last year I bought two besseae from windy hill gardens. Both bloomed. One was nice and one was great. It was bigger, redder and had better form than either of my AM divisions. She might have some left.

I also recently repotted my besseae 'Ester Nies'. When they establish, I'll have two extra divisions.

Ri
Cool, let me know if you are interested in selling them…. Thanks!

I have a lot of Orchid Inn's plants and in theory all of the flasks still in the lab. Didn't have room to take all the plants though. A few besseae... :) I have been buying a lot of Chuck's flask and growing them out, so if you want bigger plants I might have them. I mostly buy small growing stuff though.

If anybody is looking for Taylor Orchids (Monroe, MI), I took all his plants when he closed. That was several years ago now. Still have a lot of the mutiflorals.
What happened with Orchid Inn, did Sam just decide to retire? I ordered recently and there were some minor issues, but I had no idea at the time…

He is retiring. I think he will sell plants until he sells the property. If anyone is interested in a nice house with a nice greenhouse I can hook you up...

Email from Sam yesterday:

Business Closing

Hello All,

This is Sam Tsui, the owner of Orchid Inn, Ltd., after over 30 years of operating this business. It is about the time for me to retire and shut down the business for good! I will officially close my business at the end of May and I will shut down the website any day within the next few days.

Thank you for your support and loyalty. I wish you all happy growing and enjoying your orchids!

Sam

I picked up several flasks of Phrag besseae ‘Mega’ x ‘Zephyrus Mega’ every single one of them that have bloomed have been a disappointment. Only have maybe 25 left to flower but not expecting anything spectacular. That said, if you see Mega x Z Mega, expect to be underwhelmed.
well that sucks mine are coming along, but i was hoping for excitement

Hey Tom

I picked up a flask of ‘Red Rocket’ x self a couple years ago. They should be blooming this year. Will let you know.

Several attempts have been made to set pods on a few OZ besseae as well as divisions of ‘Red Circle’ and a couple other selects that I have. Sadly the couple pods that made it to maturity had germination issues. Assuming that I’m dealing with mostly 3n plants. Ugh!

Guess it needs to be done the hard way. Hahaha

Tyler

Hey Tom

I picked up a flask of ‘Red Rocket’ x self a couple years ago. They should be blooming this year. Will let you know.

Several attempts have been made to set pods on a few OZ besseae as well as divisions of ‘Red Circle’ and a couple other selects that I have. Sadly the couple pods that made it to maturity had germination issues. Assuming that I’m dealing with mostly 3n plants. Ugh!

Guess it needs to be done the hard way. Hahaha

Tyler
Well I guess that explains why none of those seem to be around much these days…

Just want to bump this thread, I'm looking for a good besseae, too. Doesn't need to be the round OZ breeding lines. If anyone has any leads (or divisions! 😄) I would be super interested. Thanks!!

Latest posts

Back