Good Paph orchid mix

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Paph mix

Thanks.I have another query. Here in Ireland, it is quite hard to get horticultural charcoal. You would have to get it fron england and shipping charges would make it quite expensive. Would a mix without the charcoal be okay?

main mix is chc, moss, perlite and charcoal.

I find anitum seedlings rot really easy during the cooler season with high humidity and a wet mix so I added medium bark to the mix in a larger pot.

I've been using ~3:1 orchiata + sponge rock (as close to the same size as I can do), with a little fine charcoal thrown in just because I have it. I don't think the charcoal helps much, and it is pretty messy.

3.5" pots or larger get the 'medium' grade. Smaller pots get the smaller stuff. Interesting about the larger pots all using small mix, I could try that. I gave away all my bales of CHC a few years ago when I moved... So it is harder for me to try adding that back in. :)

What about using aquarium/fish charcoal instead?
Personally, I'd avoid it. Those grades are "activated", meaning they have been heat treated in a manner that increases the mircroporosity to an extreme degree so that it will adsorb like crazy.

In flasking media, that's great, as it absorbs waste products and defensive toxins that may be emitted by the plants, but they are likely to be in that for a relatively short while. In potting media, the charcoal will absorb plant wastes, as well as dissolved minerals in your water and fertilizer, becoming more-and-more saturated, becoming pockets of toxins in the medium.

Yeah, at first, it "sequesters" them, but over time, its capacity to do that wanes.

Thanks.I have another query. Here in Ireland, it is quite hard to get horticultural charcoal. You would have to get it fron england and shipping charges would make it quite expensive. Would a mix without the charcoal be okay?
yes, it mostly works as a filter and air space maker.
What about using aquarium/fish charcoal instead?
Good if you change every year, otherwise see Ray's post.

Latest posts

Back