Gongora citrina (?)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:rollhappy:

It's really a beautiful yellow color -- Gongoras are cool flowers, and this one makes me want one like it.

I like my Gongoras, but whish the flowers lasted a little longer. A big plant may have several spikes come and go over a few weeks, and a few can even do that twice a year ( I have a big truncata that does this). But they sure can take up a lot of space in the meantime.

I like my Gongoras, but whish the flowers lasted a little longer. A big plant may have several spikes come and go over a few weeks, and a few can even do that twice a year ( I have a big truncata that does this). But they sure can take up a lot of space in the meantime.

Good thing is you can chuck them away in a dark corner until they bloom. :p I grow mine hanging below phals. They receive less light than phals or Maudiae paphs, and are growing enormous leaves..

Hmmm -- I didn't realize Gongoras were big plants.
My truncata has 24" leaves, and long spikes hanging down can probably clear 18". The quinquenervis is catching up fast.

My galeottianum is only about 1/2 the height. But I grow it brighter, and probably force it to be a bit more compact.

There's a lot of species, so I'm sure there are smaller ones, but they multiply very quickly into specimen plants. It's probably comparable to catts.

I agree with Rick. Some species like galeata and armeniaca are relatively small, others like claviodora and quinquenervis can be pretty massive, like stanhopeas. Here is how mine look like (there are 3 plants, left to right, quinquenervis, claviodora mounted on wood and another piece of claviodora, potted):
IMG_1123-2.jpg

Gongora is the fastest growing genus of orchids I own. Each plant can complete several growth cycles in one year, which means multiple bloomings! :D

*For size reference, the clay pot on the right is 8-9 inches in diameter.

Back