Going to Hawaii. Any advice what place to visit

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tant385

Reaction score
We were dreaming about Hawaii for almost 10 years, finally decided to go. Now i am wondering, how you can bring orchids back to mainland with you, how difficult is it. Do you need to undergo inspection in the airport or you need to buy from certified nursery in the sealed box? We are going to big island of Hawaii, what orchid nursery is worth to visit? Any advise will be appreciated...

We were dreaming about Hawaii for almost 10 years, finally decided to go. Now i am wondering, how you can bring orchids back to mainland with you, how difficult is it. Do you need to undergo inspection in the airport or you need to buy from certified nursery in the sealed box? We are going to big island of Hawaii, what orchid nursery is worth to visit? Any advise will be appreciated...

Hawaii is a State not a foreign country! Just carry your plants and enter your state normally, you dont have to declare anything.

Plants bought in Hawaii usually comes with phytosanitary certificate and permit, so you do not have to worry. just take lots of money. hahaha

I usually pay the vendor to ship the plants and carry a few small things with me.

Hilo orchid farm would be great but they might not welcome individual visit.
Look up some places online. Big Island is a home to some nice nurseries.

Contact quintal farms on the big island if they are available. Marvelous place!

Just curious, what part of the Big Island are you going to? There are tons of orchid nurseries there, especially the Hilo side but if you get in touch with them 1st it might be better. I posted the link above so you can get in touch before you get there. Usually Mondays and Tuesdays are not so good, those are the days most of them ship. Good luck and have a great time...
Fred

Thanks to everybody for your answers. We are planing to stay half time near Kona and second half near Volcano or Hilo. Did not rent yet.

Latest posts

Back