Going to Costa Rica!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Herrera

Reaction score
Hello!
A few weeks ago I was notified that I got accepted to work as a research intern in Costa Rica during the summer! I will be doing research of my own choice and as expected I want to do it on orchids and/or organisms in relationship with them. I was wondering if any of you know of a good book on the flora and fauna of Costa Rica, and of any books on the orchids of Costa Rica? Also if any of you have experienced a trip to Costa Rica before? how was it?

Thank you!

I have been there for a few weeks in 2010. I spent most of the time if the northern half of the country. Lots of brassavola and maxillaria at sea level. Up in the cloud Forrest is where is saw most of the orchids. Look at any brach that has fallen off a tree... There will be many orchids on it. Fun to go hiking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

An issues that keeps coming up here is fertilizer... Perhaps a study of orchid fertilizer sources in the wild? How frequently does an orchid get pooed on. What is the mineral/nitrogen content of the run-off on the tree etc... Is there dead plant matter around the roots? Stuff like that... I suppose data on lighting in the wild would interest the people here too...

An issues that keeps coming up here is fertilizer... Perhaps a study of orchid fertilizer sources in the wild? How frequently does an orchid get pooed on. What is the mineral/nitrogen content of the run-off on the tree etc... Is there dead plant matter around the roots? Stuff like that... I suppose data on lighting in the wild would interest the people here too...

And I thought my interests were obscure...

Daniel, have a great time you luck dog!

Been there several times, great place for orchid watching, bird watching, all kinds of interesting wildlife. Be careful off the beaten path, there are several lethal snakes. If you get a chance go the Lancaster Gardens and you have to visit the Monteverde Cloud Forrest. Last time I was there in a town called Jaco there was an area on the north side of town there is an area of trees that are literally covered with Brassavola nodosa. Some are so close to the ocean they get splashed with sea water at times of high tides and large surf. Make sure you keep an eye on your stuff, petty theft is rampant there, other than that very safe place as far as crime goes. Have fun
Fred

Yeah. Keep your eyes on your stuff... If you are in touristy areas. Ferries, tourist attractions... We were off the beaten path most of the time, so didn't run into problems with petty crime except for the ferry ride from hell from the Nicoya peninsula to puntarenas...people we're trying to get into our bags left right and centre. And we were not flashing expensive things around. Other than that ferry ride no problems.
Go to Monteverde, bring a light jacket or fleece.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please share your experience Daniel.
Now I will reconsider this trip.
Thanks guys.

Hello!
A few weeks ago I was notified that I got accepted to work as a research intern in Costa Rica during the summer! I will be doing research of my own choice and as expected I want to do it on orchids and/or organisms in relationship with them. I was wondering if any of you know of a good book on the flora and fauna of Costa Rica, and of any books on the orchids of Costa Rica? Also if any of you have experienced a trip to Costa Rica before? how was it?

Thank you!

Daniel, did you ever look at the publications from Lankester Botanic Gardens? Lankesteriana http://www.lankesteriana.org Might give you research inspiration.

http://www.lankesteriana.org/current.htm
http://www.lankesteriana.org/indiceGENERAL.htm

Latest posts

Back