Godefroyae album First Bloom

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my leucochilum album 2015

Attachments

• gode2.jpg
    gode2.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 6
  • gode1.jpg
    gode1.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 6
Leslie, that's a very pretty flower. Congrats. Furthermore you are one of the few people who name it correctly P. godefroyae album instead of P. leucochilum album. Mine is also from Popw but I bought it many years ago and its veining on the staminode is yellow. I think I showed a photo here last year.
Thanks Guru. Please post pic here again?

Staminode color is variable but green (see Olaf album book) is usually the standard of godefroyae (since niveum and concolor have yellow veins on their staminodes). This green will eventually turn yellow in a few weeks. Most awarded godefroyae albums in AOS have yellow in staminodes, possibly due to age of flowers.

Leslie after you gave me permission to enter your thread with photos of my P. godefroyae album....here they are.

02806_17.08.18_paphi godefroyae album.jpg

paph_godefroyae_album_13.jpg

paph_godefroyae_album.jpg

paph_godefroyae_album_1.jpg

paph_godefroyae_album_3.jpg

Last edited:
my leucochilum album 2015

Hakone, I think I've explained it to you in another forum some years ago. But because you mentioned P. leucochilum album again I will explain it once more.
The KEW Plant List doesn't accept Paph. leucochilum at all, see http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl1.1/record/kew-147163 and http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl1.1/search?q=Paphiopedilum+godefroyae
Some others hold on for it to be a variety of P. godefroyae so it's P. godefroyae var. leucochilum.
P. godefroyae and its (variety) leucochilum distinguish only by the SPOTLESS PUREWHITE POUCH of leucochilum. With the album forms this feature disappears so all abums MUST BE P. godefroyae, nothing else.

As to the flower you show here. In my eyes the pouch looks more P. bellatulum like than godefroyae like??

It could be one P. bellatulum Album

" P. godefroyae and its (variety) leucochilum distinguish only by the SPOTLESS PUREWHITE POUCH of leucochilum. With the album forms this feature disappears so all abums MUST BE P. godefroyae, nothing else." correctly

I gave away my album Collection 2015 to friends for lack of time. Now I'm starting to collect again because of Covid 19. Since the album from Thailand is no longer rare, I no longer to collect.

.....What is your secret? Growing tips please...

Leslie, I don't know whether I have a secret or not? First of all I'm an indoor grower and I tried to find my own way of growing Paphs. I grow all my Paphs in a special way...sometimes (far) away from the usual growing advices. With that method I have sometimes success and from time to time failures. But That's normal.
I grow all of my Paphs in the same inorganic medium. Its a mix of broken LECA, SERAMIS® and cut stripes of styrofoam. In my eyes the inorganic medium saves repottings due to the lack of decaying,
i.e. this P. godefroyae album and the P. niveum album I didn't repot at all. The grow in the same pot for 10 or more years. You see I'm a lazy bone.
Nowadays I water my Paphs once a fortnight formerly I did it once a week and in my beginning days more often therefore some were drowning.
I grow all of my Brachys on a west facing windowsill without any shade. Although some days the blind are down there's always a gap to leave the Brachys in the sun. In these summer days they get full sunlight for about 4-5 hours a day. So far I haven't measured the temperatures but in full sunlight it gets hot. They get almost baked in the sun but obviously they like it.
Others I grow with more shade but also Polyanthas like the sunlight.
I water with rainwater and fertilize all year round slightly. Thats all.
During my journey to the Carribien I watered all the Pahs the day I left and they got the next watering almost 4 weeks later. All survived but that should be the exception.

Hakone, I think I've explained it to you in another forum some years ago. But because you mentioned P. leucochilum album again I will explain it once more.
The KEW Plant List doesn't accept Paph. leucochilum at all, see http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl1.1/record/kew-147163 and http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl1.1/search?q=Paphiopedilum+godefroyae
Some others hold on for it to be a variety of P. godefroyae so it's P. godefroyae var. leucochilum.
P. godefroyae and its (variety) leucochilum distinguish only by the SPOTLESS PUREWHITE POUCH of leucochilum. With the album forms this feature disappears so all abums MUST BE P. godefroyae, nothing else.

As to the flower you show here. In my eyes the pouch looks more P. bellatulum like than godefroyae like??
I must admit, I did post a leucochilum album previously and it is (by virtue of the definition of WCSP) a synonym correctly named godefroyae album as you stated. Live and learn lol.

Leslie, I don't know whether I have a secret or not? First of all I'm an indoor grower and I tried to find my own way of growing Paphs. I grow all my Paphs in a special way...sometimes (far) away from the usual growing advices. With that method I have sometimes success and from time to time failures. But That's normal.
I grow all of my Paphs in the same inorganic medium. Its a mix of broken LECA, SERAMIS® and cut stripes of styrofoam. In my eyes the inorganic medium saves repottings due to the lack of decaying,
i.e. this P. godefroyae album and the P. niveum album I didn't repot at all. The grow in the same pot for 10 or more years. You see I'm a lazy bone.
Nowadays I water my Paphs once a fortnight formerly I did it once a week and in my beginning days more often therefore some were drowning.
I grow all of my Brachys on a west facing windowsill without any shade. Although some days the blind are down there's always a gap to leave the Brachys in the sun. In these summer days they get full sunlight for about 4-5 hours a day. So far I haven't measured the temperatures but in full sunlight it gets hot. They get almost baked in the sun but obviously they like it.
Others I grow with more shade but also Polyanthas like the sunlight.
I water with rainwater and fertilize all year round slightly. Thats all.
During my journey to the Carribien I watered all the Pahs the day I left and they got the next watering almost 4 weeks later. All survived but that should be the exception.
Thanks for this cultural insight. I have thought of inorganic media before and glad to see it has worked for another indoor grower like myself. Ten years is amazing. I repot every 2-3 years.

Wow, four weeks? You sat them in water trays or got someone to spray into media weekly? I can’t go away without 2 weekly visits from my orchid buddies.

What fertilizing regiment do you use?

I use cachepots and one year ago I changed my watering. Since one year I water solely in the bottom of the cachepots, previously I watered at the top of the potting medium. So far this works very well to me.
No, nobody sprayed the plants during my absence but these almost 4 weeks without watering was an attempt and should stay the exception. I wanted to find out whether and how the plants will endure this. But to be honest I had someone who would have watered in case of emergency. But the potting medium of my Brachies regularly dries almost out between watering in summer time.
Simultaneously with the watering regime I changed the fertilizer. Now I use a liquid garden fertilizer COMPO 'BLAUKORN' NPK 8+8+6 which works very well so far. I use 1-1,5 ml per 5 l rainwater all year round this means the water has an conductance value of circa 250 µS.

Latest posts

Back