Gnyos

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Eric Muehlbauer

I went to the GNYOS yesterday....the show itself was great, as always (see my phrag and cyp pictures posted in those areas). I'm not so sure I like the new arrangement...with the tents...it was better the past 2 years...but, still a great show, and of course, most of my time was spent at the vendor area. Met NY Eric as soon as I got there (he has the patience of a saint as he answers everyone's questions....just don't ask him about.....species!) and hung out with him the entire time, having lots of fun....got to have a great talk with Andy Philips, and bought a P. appletonianum with great foliage from him. As always, I spent a lot of time with Dennis and Maria D'Allesandro....Popow was there too (forget his first name). Hien- sorry I missed you...heard you were there the day before. Lien- Dennis and Popow were quite impressed when I told them about your greenhouse....tell us how it went when you guys got together. As for sales. lots of stuff, mostly nothing remarkable. I skimmed over most booths...just looked at the paphs.....some nice stuff..no great deals though....overall, the best deal I saw (according to my interests) were the tigrinum seedlings that Dennis was selling for $25...not huge, but tigrinum is a fast grower, and my seedling could conceivably be flowering size after another year or so. Take care, Eric

Eric Muehlbauer said:
I went to the GNYOS yesterday....the show itself was great, as always (see my phrag and cyp pictures posted in those areas). I'm not so sure I like the new arrangement...with the tents...it was better the past 2 years...but, still a great show, and of course, most of my time was spent at the vendor area. Met NY Eric as soon as I got there (he has the patience of a saint as he answers everyone's questions....just don't ask him about.....species!) and hung out with him the entire time, having lots of fun....got to have a great talk with Andy Philips, and bought a P. appletonianum with great foliage from him. As always, I spent a lot of time with Dennis and Maria D'Allesandro....Popow was there too (forget his first name). Hien- sorry I missed you...heard you were there the day before. Lien- Dennis and Popow were quite impressed when I told them about your greenhouse....tell us how it went when you guys got together. As for sales. lots of stuff, mostly nothing remarkable. I skimmed over most booths...just looked at the paphs.....some nice stuff..no great deals though....overall, the best deal I saw (according to my interests) were the tigrinum seedlings that Dennis was selling for $25...not huge, but tigrinum is a fast grower, and my seedling could conceivably be flowering size after another year or so. Take care, Eric
I took your advice to take 1/2 a day off work (I never done that ever before). Normally I get there on Saturday, and not much left, except things for normal crowd that I buy for my sisters & sister in law, cousins.
Eric, thanks for the tip, I am so happy (maybe happy is not a good enough word to describe) with the wednesday buy.
I did see that tigrinum, but afraid that I can not raise it because I heard it hates hot weather? maybe I get one if there is any left tomorrow.
I was looking to meet & say hello to.

Last edited:
I haven't been to the NY show since 1995, when it was still held at the world financial center. I was pretty disappointed with the change. It's about 1/3 to 1/4 of what it used to be. Also, Dennis had said that Rock Center seems to be pushing them out...hence the small tent, which was very cramped. Many of the vendors have indicated that they won't be coming back unless there is a change.

The sales area seems to be the same, but the display area was just so small and cramped. Still some lovely displays but they'd be easier to appreciate in a different setting, I think.

Popow's first name is Boscha.

The World Financial Center was definitely the best place the GNYOS was ever held, absolutely fantastic.....but there's no longer any space for the vendors. I was definitely disappointed by the arrangement this year, although it was a little better than the first year at Rock. Center.
Hien- how warm is your growing area? I have found tigrinum tolerates NYC heat perfectly well....but I can give it a cool room for the winter. Take care, Eric

Eric Muehlbauer said:
The World Financial Center was definitely the best place the GNYOS was ever held, absolutely fantastic.....but there's no longer any space for the vendors. I was definitely disappointed by the arrangement this year, although it was a little better than the first year at Rock. Center.
Hien- how warm is your growing area? I have found tigrinum tolerates NYC heat perfectly well....but I can give it a cool room for the winter. Take care, Eric
I did come back , and buy it, and it is the last tigrinum on the table, I think that is the smallest one left (the ones on Wednesday is much bigger)
My sun room is very cold in the winter (I would guess down to the 40)
and very hot in the summer (never measure yet , but I have no doubt, it can get up to 100 degree easily) I should buy a Min/Max thermometer this year.
I don't think they have sign in the Exhibition in the tent, or on the street to tell peoples that there is a sale area downstair, it could be the reason why this year the sellers do not do to well.

Last edited:
I think the tigrinum can grow to lower temps than a lot of other paphs according to info around. I could be wrong though.....what do others think?

One day I will get to the GNYOS and I will get me some tigrinums as well. I haven't seen any available in Australia at all so I am very envious.

Bolero said:
I think the tigrinum can grow to lower temps than a lot of other paphs according to info around. I could be wrong though.....what do others think?

One day I will get to the GNYOS and I will get me some tigrinums as well. I haven't seen any available in Australia at all so I am very envious.

This is side track from the thread but,
Couldn't you mail order from companies in the USA?
I think Antec probably has the best collection of tigrinum anywhere in the world just from looking at the pictures of different clones on the website.

http://ladyslipper.com/paphsp.htm
the scrolling down to see all of the clones.
I count 52 clones, amazing.:drool:

tigrinum
tigrinum
tigrinum
tigrinum
tigrinum - buds
tigrinum 'Candor Caracal' AM/AOS
tigrinum 'Candor Catnip'
tigrinum 'Candor Catseye'
tigrinum 'Candor Civet'
tigrinum 'Candor Curious Carnivore' AM/AOS
tigrinum 'Candor Fearful Symmetry' AM/AOS
tigrinum 'Candor Goldeneyes'
tigrinum 'Candor Paws Up' AM/AOS
tigrinum 'Candor Sabertooth'
tigrinum 'Candor Singapurra'
tigrinum 'Candor Temple Cat' AM/AOS
tigrinum '42000'
tigrinum '711a'
tigrinum 'Candor 999'
tigrinum 'Candor Kitty'
tigrinum 'M2'
tigrinum 'Candor Pterradactyl'
tigrinum '0530'
tigrinum '906'
tigrinum - group shot
tigrinum 'Candor Excalibur' AM/AOS
tigrinum 'Candor Caracal' AM/AOS
tigrinum 'Candor' CHM/AOS
tigrinum 'Candor Neverroar'
tigrinum 'Candor Double Track'
tigrinum 'Candor Gold Cat'
tigrinum 'Candor Plum Gold' AM/AOS
tigrinum 'Candor Shere Khan' AM/AOS
tigrinum 'Candor Colorful Carnivore' AM/AOS
tigrinum 'Candor Curious Carnivore' AM/AOS
tigrinum 'Candor Royal Bengal' AM/AOS
tigrinum 'Candor Paws Up' AM/AOS
tigrinum 'Candor Wild Cat' AM/AOS
tigrinum 'Candor Predator' HCC/AOS
tigrinum 'Candor Fat Cat' HCC/AOS
tigrinum 'Candor Chocolate Bar'
tigrinum 'Candor Tiger Paws'
tigrinum 'Candor Bold Gold'
tigrinum 'Candor Fearful Symmetry' AM/AOS
tigrinum 'Candor Temple Cat'
tigrinum 'Cat's Meow' AM/AOS
tigrinum 'Candor Kit Ten'
tigrinum 'Candor Purrsian'
tigrinum
tigrinum
tigrinum
tigrinum '061199'

One of the reasons the show was in the smaller tents this year is because w/ Union labor it would have cost something like $20,000 just to set up the cover over the rink. I heard Boscha went to Lien's greenhouse; I wonder if he gave or picked up anything [Like EYOF Phrag hybrids!?!?]

I was introduced to him by Dennis.
He is a really nice person to meet.

NYEric said:
One of the reasons the show was in the smaller tents this year is because w/ Union labor it would have cost something like $20,000 just to set up the cover over the rink. I heard Boscha went to Lien's greenhouse; I wonder if he gave or picked up anything [Like EYOF Phrag hybrids!?!?]

Hey Eric,
I asked one of the members there and he told me that it cost them $10,000 to take down the flag poles that surround the rink and $10,000 to put them back up. $20,000 gone just from the removal / installation of the flag poles!!! Wonder how much it is to put up a tent....

Eric

Yeah my cost estimate may be a little low, I'm Union labor remember? Anyway, you were also introduced to Bob Phillips from Albany. I ended up w/ a multifloral Paph species glanduliferum, so now I actually have 3 species.

eOrchids said:
Hey Eric,
I asked one of the members there and he told me that it cost them $10,000 to take down the flag poles that surround the rink and $10,000 to put them back up. $20,000 gone just from the removal / installation of the flag poles!!! Wonder how much it is to put up a tent....

Eric
Really, does that involves UNION, cause the cheerful & hard working mexican crew who removing snow in the winter & doing landscape work in the summer in my town would do it for 100 bucks (I kind of exagerate a little bit), well close to it.:p

NYEric said:
Yeah my cost estimate may be a little low, I'm Union labor remember? Anyway, you were also introduced to Bob Phillips from Albany. I ended up w/ a multifloral Paph species glanduliferum, so now I actually have 3 species.
Eric, I should tell the Mexican crew to join the Union, they would be even more happier than now:p
Wish I could be as good nature as they are.
By the way the architecture workers (I do not mean construction worker) don't have an union, and we really get squeeze to the max. lowest in any field.

Latest posts

Back