GNYOS Ikebana and displays

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYEric

Reaction score
Here are some photos of the Ikebana [Japanese flower arranging art form/discipline] and a couple of the public displays.

P4190626.jpg

P4190625.jpg

P4190622.jpg

P4190621.jpg

P4190619.jpg

P4190618.jpg

P4190617.jpg

P4190616.jpg

p4190624ue7.jpg

p4190688hz3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
whoa. Nice floral displays.
I like the first one the most too. It's so simple with the least flowers but yet looks sophisticated with its artistry
I think the second one isn't so good. It looks like crazy bunch of flowers...there isn't much movement in the design.
I think the christmas tree wasted a lot of precious blooms. It's too much

Quote - I think the christmas tree wasted a lot of precious blooms. It's too much.

I agree.

smartie2000 said:
I think the second one isn't so good. It looks like crazy bunch of flowers...there isn't much movement in the design.

I take back this comment on the second one. There seems to be more going down the vase...I can't evaluate it without seeing the design as a whole.

where are the paphs....maudiaes will work perfectly in an arrangement

Thanx for re-aligning the photos. I think they use a lot of cymbidiums because they last a long time and the exhibits have to last thru heat and thousands of people passing thru. Remember ikebana schools have certain rules, proportion of plants in the vertical alignment relative to horizontal alignment, use of other materials, some must incorporate water, etc. so they can't be just minimalist. The Christmas tree was just one of the displays;there are a lot more, maybe I'll post later.

Cymbidiums are easy to obtain in large numbers so they are used as a substitute for the traditionally used cattleyas a lot. (lol at my local show the lady who organised the many florists to make arrangements fo the show thought they were cattleyas...I had to convince her they were cymbidiums) I think cymbidiums are the new corsage orchids now.

Dends are also easy to obtain and in large numbers from asia.

....paphs were not used probably because they cost a lot. I head they were $9 a stem for the 2007 Rose Parade and they were the most expensive bloom they used for the float (and these are wholesale prices probably) on SOF.
Still...I wanna see a paph floral arrangement made one day. Maybe I'll submit my own, some of my maudiaes won't mind. Might be a waste though...(someone teach me a little bit more about the Japanese disipline of floral arranging. all I do is set the blooms the way I think looks nice and sophisticated)

Back