Gloria Naugle

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had been bloomed a few treated seedlings. maybe 3 or 4 clones came out bigger and deep color flower than normal, but still has a few that came out like normal size and color. I still have a few never bloomed seedlings, only original growth, growing slowly.
Attached is also a treated clone.
Look at that playground!!!

Incharm

Thank you for sharing!
Do you know anything about mericloned Gloria Naugle? It goes by the clonal name 'Red' and I assume that refers to the dark flower color of the original plant? I was told that someone in Taiwan made quite a few such GN and distributed throughout the world. I bought a couple. Nice and compact plants but very slow. Leaves are very narrow and beautiful.
No flowers yet.

I have quite a few of these (parvi/brachy x multi) hybrids and Gloria Naugle has been the most frustrating in that they are such slow growers.
Other hybrids at least had a decency to grow well. I'm still waiting for my Delrosi to bloom again for me. None have bloomed since 2017. They keep making sheaths on every growth but they won't progress any further.
Attached is the Gloria Naugle 'Red', pictured from a mericloned plant. This clone is easy grow, and blooming once the growth was mature. Hilo Orchids from Hawaii took 4 years to get first bloom after deflasking. But I took 6 years to get my first blooming. HAHA!
I also like (parvi/brachy x multi) hybrids. Same problem of yours, hard to make it bloom. But in my experience, keep dry in Winter and give more water in early Spring is worked to force more blooming in early Summer. Try.

Attachments

• IMAG6206.jpg
    IMAG6206.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMAG6206-1.jpg
    IMAG6206-1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 25
I had got the GN red last december It suffered some minor damage during the shipment.
It grew the younger central leaf few mm up in
2 months. Leaves are narrow and elegant.
A swell at the basal portion of the plant should indicate It will flower in the upcoming months even if for now I can't yet see any bud.

Attached is the Gloria Naugle 'Red', pictured from a mericloned plant. This clone is easy grow, and blooming once the growth was mature. Hilo Orchids from Hawaii took 4 years to get first bloom after deflasking. But I took 6 years to get my first blooming. HAHA!
I also like (parvi/brachy x multi) hybrids. Same problem of yours, hard to make it bloom. But in my experience, keep dry in Winter and give more water in early Spring is worked to force more blooming in early Summer. Try.

Thank you for sharing the photo! It is nice and dark.

I had got the GN red last december It suffered some minor damage during the shipment.
It grew the younger central leaf few mm up in
2 months. Leaves are narrow and elegant.
A swell at the basal portion of the plant should indicate It will flower in the upcoming months even if for now I can't yet see any bud.

How big is your plant?
I bought two or three of this clone. All were compact but one was especially small. To my surprise, though, that smallest one out of the group showed a low sheath emerging which excited me. Unfortunately, though, it never rose any further but stayed stuck low.
None of the plants grew. Not even one leaf a year. but the roots were all nice and the plant looked good.
I decided to let go of them all not too long ago as I needed space for other growing babies. I am down to two Gloria Naugle now.
One in bloom and one with two growths that has its base swollen. So, a little excitement is growing but I'm not keeping my hope high until I see it rise well above the plant.
Good luck with yours!

How big is your plant?
I bought two or three of this clone. All were compact but one was especially small. To my surprise, though, that smallest one out of the group showed a low sheath emerging which excited me. Unfortunately, though, it never rose any further but stayed stuck low.
None of the plants grew. Not even one leaf a year. but the roots were all nice and the plant looked good.
I decided to let go of them all not too long ago as I needed space for other growing babies. I am down to two Gloria Naugle now.
One in bloom and one with two growths that has its base swollen. So, a little excitement is growing but I'm not keeping my hope high until I see it rise well above the plant.
Good luck with yours!
It's about 40 cm/16 inches LS.
Good luck to you, too!

Attachments

• IMG_20220219_153301539.jpg
    IMG_20220219_153301539.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 10
Cloning paphs is very difficult and often times fail. There has been only a few reported cases and even less successfully done. The problem is that the meristem used is usually not stable or in undifferentiated state long enough, plus the tissue is so thin it won’t cut properly. Like DNA analysis, it may need a booster enzyme to increase the amount of tissue available to proceed.

Cloning paphs is very difficult and often times fail. There has been only a few reported cases and even less successfully done. The problem is that the meristem used is usually not stable or in undifferentiated state long enough, plus the tissue is so thin it won’t cut properly. Like DNA analysis, it may need a booster enzyme to increase the amount of tissue available to proceed.
Speaking of cloning, I wonder if certain varieties have been successfully done?
I once saw a huge set of Maudiae type flower and Lippewunder at a flower market and at a disply. The flowers were identical to one another so I they had to be from a single origin. The sheer number of them just made me wonder if they were clones.
Neither are as good as clumping up like certain things such as insigne, villosum or hirsutissimum.

They can be cloned at the protocorm stage, we just can't clone adult plants of known flower quality very effectively. Proliferate enough protocorms and you'll eventually hit paydirt. It's a good tactic for repopulating difficult-to-germinate endangered species, or for when you want a bunch of plants to sell of a cross that barely worked. For example, I managed to get just one protocorm of thaianum x Shirokane, if I had the proper hormones, I could turn it into 1000 lol. There's also work being done on mericlones from stolon cuttings, I suspect this is how the Mauds and Gloria Naugles are being cloned.

Update:
Roughly 6 months have passed since the first flower was pollinated with vietnamense (thank you for the donation, you know who! ;)
While the seed capsule was still green, the size had reached the max at least a couple of months ago and my other multi paph that had been carrying the seed capsule (also multi x parvi combination) for about the same time suddenly turned brown on Sunday. So, I harvested them both.
Wish me luck, guys! :)

The plant is actively growing lots of roots as well as this new shoot with about three four leaves. I hope it blooms again in the next two years.

Reading some of the last comments regarding clones....Wouldn't it be nice to live in a world where you could walk out of Trader Joe's with blooming rothschildianum and armeniacum instead of you know? lol

Back