Gloria Naugle

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
While waiting for it to open up all the way, here’s a preview of my very first blooming of this cross.
This plant is from OI breeding. They had three different offerings and I have no idea which one this plant is from.
I got a compot containing four seedlings from Mike in September 2014. They were initially very slow but eventually started doing better. I only kept one seedling as I bought a few blooming sized plants of the cross from other sources while waiting for the seedlings to grow larger.
Well, all of the other plants I bought as blooming size were very slow (barely one leaf a year) and never even made a sheath. I got rid of them all but one best looking plant (which is now two-growths plant) and this one seedling in bloom today.
This blooming plant happens to be the largest plant of the cross I’ve seen. Leaves are unusually wide for the cross.
Anyways, the flower is currently at 6inch wide with the dorsal width at 5.3 cm. Fairly big & balanced flower I would say, but a bit too yellow. I hoped for a dark pink flower. Oh, well... 01BE1494-E8F6-4F52-B7E0-43C93A0F62B3.jpeg

Last edited:
If you’re too disappointed, I’d be happy to take it off your hand(s)! I have yet to bloom either of mine. It’s stunning, congratulations!

That's a nice one! I have always heard that this hybrid is tough to bloom in my climate. A lot of the roth x parvi hybrids have that reputation, though. I suppose one day I'll try a GN. The flowers are large and gorgeous! Let's cross it with P. hangianum ASAP!

Nooo, cross it with vietnamense. Exhibit A (not my plant): View attachment 32250
My plan exactly!! except I don't have any decent vietnamense. Do you happen to have some pollen? haha
I know this one. Du Motier that won Grand Reserve Champion at WOC in Singapore in 2011.
I'll have to look into my fridge and see if I saved any Ho Chi Minh pollen to use instead.
I plan on trying both HCM and Magic Lantern.

Last edited:
That's a nice one! I have always heard that this hybrid is tough to bloom in my climate. A lot of the roth x parvi hybrids have that reputation, though. I suppose one day I'll try a GN. The flowers are large and gorgeous! Let's cross it with P. hangianum ASAP!
You know, these hybrids will bloom when they want to regardless how you care for them.
This particular plant has been grown under the top shelf on my T8 set up in the room where the temperature is almost constantly between low to mid 70s throughout the year. I've had GN on my winowsill where it gets pretty cold on winter nights and none of those ever even spiked.
I thought about what to cross this one with. My hangianum is still a baby. Plus, I don't think the resulting color of such a paring will be pretty. It'll be like muddy dirty pink for most seedlings in my opinion.
Ideally, I'd like to remake Du Moiter ( x vietnamense), but I don't have vietnamense pollen.
My options are either HCM or Magic Lantern and hope for the best.
Brachy x parvi hybrid might work some magic on the best possible case scenario but I would think most would turn out freaky. lol

By the way, this plant is the one I posted a couple of years ago regarding its leaf variegation.
Well, as the plant grew larger, the newer leaves grew out green without any variegation.
Kind of miss it, kind of glad. haha

Latest posts

Back