Gloria Naugle

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally have one Gloria Naugle in sheath and I'm super excited since I have tried quite a few Gloria Naugle that never did anything for me.
Unfortunately though, it is the largest one of the cross I've had with its leaf at over 20cm in length and the leaves are very wide compared to any others I've gone through. I hope it will bloom out nicely for me.
Hang on, let me get my tiny violin while I sing to you of misery and woe. 😜

Hat off!! I Just bought one GN really hope to have that winning lottery ticket!
Does not depend on parents used for the cross? Or It definetly is a shy bloomer?
Do you mind posting a picture of the plant, I love to see how It does compare to mine.
Thanks

no, just the bark/charcoal/perlite mix
Good to know, I surely have much to learn about paphio culture but Happy to be in the right place. I' ve Always been scared to rot the roots so I put in my pots a layer of polistirene chips for drainage but in my climate they dry too fast. Next spring I'm willing to repot my collection and do the right way. Here we only find n.3 perlite that Is quite small so thinking to mix It with some coarser pumice.

... in my climate they dry too fast.
May I propose a non-organic medium, Greenmix: "GreenMix for Orchids is a mixture of water-repellent and water-absorbent granulate with added perlite and lignite. The granulate is made from stonewool, the basic element of which is diabase rock. GreenMix for orchids is produced by Grodania A/S". It was developed in a cooperation with our local mastergrower, Hans Christiansen of Fredensborg, who 2019 could celebrate his 50th years anniversary as independent orchid nursery owner:
https://orchidegartneriet.dk
What is very important with GM, is never to let the medium dry out completely. It's a wee bit finicky using it in a living room, but it helps keeping up the humidity. If in a GH, you just (spray with a) hose the plants on a daily basis; in a heat wave, maybe twice (morning/late afternoon); in the winter, if the temperature drops, less so. You can calibrate the watering by lifting the pots: if very light, watering is direly needed, if heavy or medium weight, less so.
Once a month you have to genuinely wash the medium through, so salts don't accumulate in the medium. A very practical benefit (esp. with Cats.) is that you only need to repot, when the plant outgrows the pot (as the medium doesn't break down/decompose).

Hans introduced the medium to a group of French orchid growers - and it has become very popular on their latitudes, so he is sending quite a bit their way.

May I propose a non-organic medium, Greenmix: "GreenMix for Orchids is a mixture of water-repellent and water-absorbent granulate with added perlite and lignite. The granulate is made from stonewool, the basic element of which is diabase rock. GreenMix for orchids is produced by Grodania A/S". It was developed in a cooperation with our local mastergrower, Hans Christiansen of Fredensborg, who 2019 could celebrate his 50th years anniversary as independent orchid nursery owner:
https://orchidegartneriet.dk
What is very important with GM, is never to let the medium dry out completely. It's a wee bit finicky using it in a living room, but it helps keeping up the humidity. If in a GH, you just (spray with a) hose the plants on a daily basis; in a heat wave, maybe twice (morning/late afternoon); in the winter, if the temperature drops, less so. You can calibrate the watering by lifting the pots: if very light, watering is direly needed, if heavy or medium weight, less so.
Once a month you have to genuinely wash the medium through, so salts don't accumulate in the medium. A very practical benefit (esp. with Cats.) is that you only need to repot, when the plant outgrows the pot (as the medium doesn't break down/decompose).

Hans introduced the medium to a group of French orchid growers - and it has become very popular on their latitudes, so he is sending quite a bit their way.
Thank you Guidal, it's a new way for me never used inorganics substrates.
The main problem Is my lack of time during Summertime, very busy, can't water every day.
I'm wondering if you need to water every day, do you supply a very low EC fertilizer solution everytime? Flushing every now and then.
An urea free fert. Needed? Wow quite a revolution for me.

Just open your link and saw in the catalogue Angraecum magdalenae. Lost mine many years ago I must have It! Such a good perfume.

Latest posts

Back