Gloria Naugle Fine Black Spots on the Underside

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
I have just received my order of two Gloria Naugle today.
I see these spots on the underside of the leaves again!
On all the leaves but the top two newest leaves on both plants.

I have bought one GN last month that came with this same spotting. It got worse and worse and I tossed that one.

I am an indoor grower and I do not use chemicals.
I also have a lot of other healthy plants, so when something questionable happens, I tend to just freak out and toss in fear of whatever the mystery issue might spread on to my other plants.

Now, those tiny black spots look as if the leaf underside had been stabbed all over with a fine needle.
They are only found on the underside and the top surface looks perfectly clean. These are not the same as the natural surface pigmentations commonly seen on hangianum hybrids.

I have a few other GN and they do not exhibit any such spots at all.
I have hundreds of paphs and I have never seen such issues.

Have anyone of you seen this or know what this is?
If yes, is this a disease of some sort?
What happened to your plants with this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• gloria1 - Copy.JPG
    gloria1 - Copy.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 80
  • gloria2 - Copy.JPG
    gloria2 - Copy.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 48
I have one that is doing the same thing and I thought some mites, although not sure. I sprayed it with floramite and I will see. It does not seem to grow. I do use chimical when ever I need as I absolutely don't want pests inside my house and into my other plants.

I would isolate these plants and treat them for mites and insects and see if it spread. Is it something common with Gloria Naugle? I wonder.

Not saying the plant definitely has mites at this moment but it loos like it did at one point.

looks like they have been damaged by bugs in a past life, and you are just seeing the leaf damage where some fungus moved in. inspect and treat them for bugs but they should be fine.

i agree with the possibility of mites, now or previously
the problem is that they may be broad mites or another truly microscopic mite
one typically sees the damage first because they are so small
they may be another type of mite that isn't so small
a good magnifying glass/photographer's loupe would be helpful

Um, I think that's just the pattern on the bottom of the leaves.

No, each spots are a bit deep seated and a bit dented in.
Certain spots are slight yellowish brown (hard to tell in these photos) and much bigger than each black spots.

All the spots on parvi hybrids ( I compare hybrids because straight species tend to have nearly fully saturated dark purple underside rather than spotting) are maroon or dark wine sort of color, and they are not dented in.

I have one that is doing the same thing and I thought some mites, although not sure. I sprayed it with floramite and I will see. It does not seem to grow. I do use chimical when ever I need as I absolutely don't want pests inside my house and into my other plants.

I would isolate these plants and treat them for mites and insects and see if it spread. Is it something common with Gloria Naugle? I wonder.

How did you plant respond??

I sprayed my older one with this same symptoms, and guess what!
In just a day two, the spotting got much worse, and a few more days past, the leaves started to yellow, brown and completely blackened, dried up and died. well, two or three bottom most leaves died.
The surviving leaves had such ugly underside and I just got rid of it.

Paphiopland & Justin - I got a response from the seller, and I was told that it might be mite damage from the past, but since the plants have been routinely sprayed, they should be fine, although I can return them if that's what I want.
I haven't made up my mind yet.

I have sprayed before one a GN displaying such symptom, and the plant declined quickly. I used Rose 3 in 1 stuff that I got from HD.
So, I'm not sure about spraying these new ones.
They look fine otherwise, which really puzzles me.
Also, these are supposedly blooming size, but quite small, and that is a big plus for me. Small plants that are mature size.

Erythrone- You are in Canada, though.

likespaphs- Have you seen broad mite damage?
I have heard about them being very small, but I do not know much about them. This makes me really get rid of the plants then. If they are microscopic, then magnifying glass won't help, right?

Everyone has mites or has had mites. Especially if you grow indoors. Just keep them undercontrol. Spray with mineral oil if you are concerned regularly for a month. Or get ladybugs.

Erythrone- You are in Canada, though.

Yes, but I did not know you aren't since you did not write your location on your profile! :poke:

I have heard about them being very small, but I do not know much about them. This makes me really get rid of the plants then. If they are microscopic, then magnifying glass won't help, right?

You can use some magnifiers like these. I bought the 30 x a few years ago. But it is only userfull if you cut some tissue from the plant.

http://www.bustan.ca/product_detail.asp?menuID=1&SID=15&PID=457

Sorry, I'm in New York City.

Thanks for the info about the magnifier. So with this one, you can see broad mites?? I have a very good vision and I do not consider spider mites small.
just for comparison.

some mites are quite literally nearly microscopic

How does one combat against them, then??

I have seen pictures of "possible" broad mite damage on phalaenopsis leaf on the internet, and it showed up nothing like that of spider mite damage.
In fact, it looked nothing like damage from bugs, but it showed up as large yellowing of the leaf upper surface.

Do you know how to recognize the symptoms of damage done by broad mite or other microscopic sized-mites??

Everyone has mites or has had mites. Especially if you grow indoors. Just keep them undercontrol. Spray with mineral oil if you are concerned regularly for a month. Or get ladybugs.

I don't think I do.
I have over one hundred paphs all indoor, and I do not see funny leaves or actually bugs. I have a very good vision and I can readily identify spider mites, but I'm not sure about the other mites if they are truly "insivible", but at least I do not see any damage of any kind other than some random brown rot on the leaf in the summer on a couple of plants.

I find paphs to be very tough and resistant of anything, which is great.

Latest posts

Back