glaucophylum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trithor

Chico (..... the clown)
Reaction score
Two different clones of glaucophylum in bloom at the moment. They are from very different sources. One is an old clone which has been in my collection for many years, while the other is a line bred clone from Taiwan.

both are nice but I prefer the first one with its more "wild" dorsal. The second is nice too but just kind of looks a bit like an average liemianum

It's hard for me to pick which one I like the best. Both of them are lovely in their own little way.

I really like the first one...everything about it. The second is pretty and I like the halo around the dorsal, but if I was
choosing to buy between the two, I'd choose the first one.
Which one do you like best?

I can't pick either. I like the variety.

I guess the other question is was liemianum inserted into the Taiwan line or did that white flower edge just pop up naturally during line breeding?

Is there any of the liemianum "tiger striping' in the foliage?

nope, the leaves are a pale grey color, with the underside perhaps a bit greener. The surface of the leaves have that characteristic whitish waxy substance that is so characteristic. No tiger striping at all.

I really like the first one...everything about it. The second is pretty and I like the halo around the dorsal, but if I was
choosing to buy between the two, I'd choose the first one.
Which one do you like best?

I like the first one more too. Don't really like the shape of the pouch on the 2nd one.

I actually prefer the second one myself. Better shape and colour and the white halo is striking. This group is too confusing for me to to offer an opinion on whether it is a full species or not. I will say my glaucophyllum has a white halo as well.

The second one is a hybrid. :eek:

Perhaps I should clarify the provenance?
The first is the line bred Taiwan clone, the second is a very old plant which has no chance of being a hybrid unless it is of natural origin. The second plant has been in my collection for a few decades. I have since selfed it (the seedlings are due out of flask now, not many unfortunately).
Interestingly I have been viewing the first with some suspicion, while perfectly confident with the second. This is a very difficult group to be positive about:(

Did you personally collect the second plant Gary? I have a couple of Taiwan glaucs and they look like your first one as well. This could be why early on Taxos wanted to blend this group altogether but with human intervention, we has sped up the speciation of this group!:poke:

Latest posts

Back