Glaucophyllum x Hirsutissimum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's a first time bloomer, I wouldn't worry too much about the outcome (if dissatisfied with the result, cut the flower stem for the plant to preserve its energy on growing, instead of flowering)...and from innumerable stories/experiences, here on STC, I, myself, wouldn't worry too much about the second blooming either.

We have seen more than one clone with so-so first time flowering (to put it mildly), even worse second flowering, rise from the ashes in splendiferous glory the third time round.

This has taught me, that patience and a bit of restraint, before a plant is thrown on the scrapheap for good, might be well placed. Depending on the size of your growth space and/or temperament, one might postpone the verdict of the jury untill unanimousity has been reached and we are beyond the realm of reasonable doubt! 😉

If it's a first time bloomer, I wouldn't worry too much about the outcome (if dissatisfied with the result, cut the flower stem for the plant to preserve its energy on growing, instead of flowering)...and from innumerable stories/experiences, here on STC, I, myself, wouldn't worry too much about the second blooming either.

We have seen more than one clone with so-so first time flowering (to put it mildly), even worse second flowering, rise from the ashes in splendiferous glory the third time round.

This has taught me, that patience and a bit of restraint, before a plant is thrown on the scrapheap for good, might be well placed. Depending on the size of your growth space and/or temperament, one might postpone the verdict of the jury untill unanimousity has been reached and we are beyond the realm of reasonable doubt! 😉
I only have the plant for 18 or so months, the intention is to keep it for a few seasons and if it does not meet the expectations I shall sell it on the pot flower market. The plant has flowered in the past so we shall see what happens next season. I have a lot of room atm.

I only have the plant for 18 or so months, the intention is to keep it for a few seasons and if it does not meet the expectations I shall sell it on the pot flower market. The plant has flowered in the past so we shall see what happens next season. I have a lot of room atm.
I'm not that optimistic like Jens, that in this case an improvement of the shape of the dorsal will appear. Have a look at all the photos of flowers of Paph. hirsutissimum and you will see ..... all have a more or less waved or curled marging. The dorsal is flat after blossom out but doesn't stay this way.
The flower of your plant isn't bad, but by far no improvement to Paph. glaucophyllum except maybe the flower size which I can't assess by the photos.
If you like it and if you have enough growing space ...... keep it ..... if not ..... sell it...... but don't wait of an great improvement.
No idea what the hybridiser was thinking........
Stephen, you took the words right out of my mouth.

I'm not that optimistic like Jens, that in this case an improvement of the shape of the dorsal will appear. Have a look at all the photos of flowers of Paph. hirsutissimum and you will see ..... all have a more or less waved or curled marging. The dorsal is flat after blossom out but doesn't stay this way.
The flower of your plant isn't bad, but by far no improvement to Paph. glaucophyllum except maybe the flower size which I can't assess by the photos.
If you like it and if you have enough growing space ...... keep it ..... if not ..... sell it...... but don't wait of an great improvement.

Stephen, you took the words right out of my mouth.
Sensible

The hybrid was made a long time ago 1975 by W.W. Wilson registered as Paph. Mishtawayawininiwak. Here another clone, made around 2000

Attachments

• Paphiopedilum Mishtawayawininiwak - glaucophyllum X hirsutissimum.jpg
    Paphiopedilum Mishtawayawininiwak - glaucophyllum X hirsutissimum.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1
Not my cuppa tea but there’s beauty in it to someone lol.
Look, I have not been entirely happy with the dorsal, some more experienced judges and growers have commented on it. The marking and the shape is certainly not what I would hope for. If you discard the dorsal, the rest is not too bad. Apparently there is not many Hirsutissimum hybrids around that would be worthwhile keeping. Do you agree or not?

Look, I have not been entirely happy with the dorsal, some more experienced judges and growers have commented on it. The marking and the shape is certainly not what I would hope for. If you discard the dorsal, the rest is not too bad. Apparently there is not many Hirsutissimum hybrids around that would be worthwhile keeping. Do you agree or not?
Agreed.

Where’s that iron hmmmm… 😅

I agree with Stephen. While I love the species hirsutissimum, it is just not something I would ever use in breeding hybrids. Plus I am generally not a big fan of the sequential hybrids. I think what you have is as good as you are going to get with this hybrid.

Latest posts

Back