gigantifolium & it's hybrids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting discussion. I will find this when I get gigantifolium eventually.. :evil: They're still very pricey at the moment..

polyantha, where are you located?

Hi PaphioBoy
If you live in Penang , buy yourself a gigantifolium from a nursery in KL. I was there 2 years ago and last year and they had huge wild collected one for 40Ringgit (about $13) Same as wild collected sanderianum and rothschildianum.
In flower they only cost 60 ringgit ($20.00)

I looked up kolopakingii var. katherinae because I've never heard of that variety. We did have a discussion on the album form of kolopakingii I believe on the forum.

Paph. kolopakingii fma. katherinae is the album version of kolopakingii.

Hi PaphioBoy
If you live in Penang , buy yourself a gigantifolium from a nursery in KL. I was there 2 years ago and last year and they had huge wild collected one for 40Ringgit (about $13) Same as wild collected sanderianum and rothschildianum.
In flower they only cost 60 ringgit ($20.00)

Seriously..??? Where? Where? Where? :drool: :drool: :drool:

I cannot remember the name of the nursery. But I will find out from my friend in KL who directed me to the nursery. The nursery sell cheap flask of phalies and cattleya at 20 ringgit each, In fact if you buy 30+ they come down in price to 15 ringgit. But don't know the quality. I know a guy here who goes to KL twice a year, buying all these cheap stuff in flask. 6 months later he sells seedlings of phalie and catts for $10 each. Made a killing and still have free holiday.

I cannot remember the name of the nursery. But I will find out from my friend in KL who directed me to the nursery. The nursery sell cheap flask of phalies and cattleya at 20 ringgit each, In fact if you buy 30+ they come down in price to 15 ringgit. But don't know the quality. I know a guy here who goes to KL twice a year, buying all these cheap stuff in flask. 6 months later he sells seedlings of phalie and catts for $10 each. Made a killing and still have free holiday.

LOL.. :rollhappy: :rollhappy: I want a lifestyle like that too.. :p Hmm, it might be Lum Chin nursery. They do a lot of dend, phal, vanda types... Also have species but the last time I was there, they didn't have any paphs.

LOL.. :rollhappy: :rollhappy: I want a lifestyle like that too.. :p Hmm, it might be Lum Chin nursery. They do a lot of dend, phal, vanda types... Also have species but the last time I was there, they didn't have any paphs.

Just got an EMail back from KL. Yes it is Lum Chin Orchid Garden. Jalan Kuchai Lama. Lot 1872. They don't always have paphs. If they don't have at the time of your visit just ask when the next shipment will come. When I was there last (year), they had about 20 gigantifolium sanderianum/rothschildianum. All wild collected. I am not in this market.
There is also a collector in west java who had about 50 gigantifolium, last time I went there October 2010. Asking about $20 each

Thanks for the info, Howard. Wild paphs are always a big gamble if they haven't been established for a while before offered for sale. I can reestablish and grow wild stonei and lowii with ratty-looking leaves and nearly no roots, but 2 kolos I received from a friend didn't make it..

There are some moral issues surrounding the purchase of jungle collected plants.........and ivory and whaling.........

I agree with you. I've always been a bit surprised that buying jungle collected plants is perfectly acceptable on this forum. Never heard a bad word said about it.

It reminds me of an Australian nursery selling multi-growth plants of Paph parishii for a price I was happy to pay. When I asked them where did they come from, they told me they were jungle collected. I said "no thanks". I could have brought that nursery to its knees if I reported them.

David

I agree with you. I've always been a bit surprised that buying jungle collected plants is perfectly acceptable on this forum. Never heard a bad word said about it.

It reminds me of an Australian nursery selling multi-growth plants of Paph parishii for a price I was happy to pay. When I asked them where did they come from, they told me they were jungle collected. I said "no thanks". I could have brought that nursery to its knees if I reported them.

David

Frankly, about the wild collected plants, in quite a lot of instances buying flasks is way more damaging, especially from Taiwan. I have been involved in the trade of paphiopedilum for a very long time to say the least, and flasks sometimes do more harm than good.

I will give one example, intaniae. One nursery imported half a thousand plants of intaniae in bud in Taiwan. They made a lot of seed capsules, killed the plants. The seeds did not germinate for most of them, and they ended up with 17 flasks of intaniae.

Plants are collected all over Asia for the local trade, not for overseas. Overseas buy very little compared to the local trade. Paph. parishii, most of the established wild plants are sold within Thailand, few are exported. Not buying plants will not stop the trade, you or anyone outside of Asia is absolutely nothing compared to the 'real' customers who buy by few hundreds pots each species locally for the pot plant market or local hobby market ( when such a thing exist, like Thailand or China).

About the flasks, Taiwanese import big batches of fresh wild plants, a month or two before the blooming season. They bloom them, rootless things, and make the seed capsules. Few plants survive after the seeds are ready. For some species, none. That's how they killed hundreds of sanderianum, rothschildianum, anitum, hangianum...

After, they sell the flasks, but in fact, the quantity of seedlings made of a given species is LOWER than the quantity of wild collected plants fucked to make those seed capsules. The hobbyists feel happy to have artificially propagated plants, but in fact, they were more damaging to the wild than to get wild collected plant...

Some Taiwanese nurseries really grow their motherplants, note well, but the trend is more to use wild plants to make quickly seed capsules. What they don't know and will never learn, a disabled plant or weak plant produces less seeds, of far less quality than a well grown plant. On the time, they are in a hurry to produce as many different species and hybrids as possible, so they do not care about the collateral damages.

See for example that parent plant pictured here:

87.jpg

Guaranteed that the plant did most likely not survive this blooming

Gigantifolium, you rarely see flasks of those, and if you grow well a wild plant, it is saved. Another problem, most of the collected plants end up in the wrong hands and are killed too, but if you are a good grower, the plants will really grow well and for long time. I still have the original wild collected gigantifolium used for the description, about 15 years ago. After some setback, it is now a 6 growth plant.

The last problem, they are so common at present time from the wild, that most nurseries will still stock huge wild plants of gigantifolium. The collector sells them 40000 rupiah per huge 2 growth plants, which is about 2USD. Sometimes it is better to buy those when a nursery has nice plants than to let them die of neglect.

Sounds like they are going to kill them from collecting or poor culture no matter what. Same result, all gone.

That's why we have this thread going to try to figure out what good culture techniques work.

Maybe someday, collectors and nurseries in Asia could use these techniques to keep their collected mother plants alive after breeding.

:sob::sob::sob:
a no win situation ...
you'll be damned if you do, damned if you don't!

Sometimes it is better to buy those when a nursery has nice plants than to let them die of neglect.

I agree. I am a believer in 'conservation through cultivation' :D If the plant is reasonably healthy and reasonably priced, I will give it a go. Most I see are beyond rescue when offered for sale. And the prices on some are quite outrageous!

The collector sells them 40000 rupiah per huge 2 growth plants, which is about 2USD.

2USD?? :drool: :drool:

I agree. I am a believer in 'conservation through cultivation' :D If the plant is reasonably healthy and reasonably priced, I will give it a go. Most I see are beyond rescue when offered for sale. And the prices on some are quite outrageous!

2USD?? :drool: :drool:

Yes but you have to buy 500 plants...

Some nurseries in Malaysia have outrageous prices for everything they sell, unfortunately they are as well the ones going to the shows around the world and exporting a lot. They simply buy plants very cheap from the other nurseries or the collector, pack them and sell them with a x10 x20 profit sometimes much more. I always have a big smile with the bulbos especially, I pay them in Malaysia, with export permits, around a dollar or two, but they are sold 8US up to some dozen dollars and more by some nurseries, same source. Bulbo kubahense, I am getting some, and pay them about 3USD. Some nurseries in Malaysia want 80US per plant right now, but they buy them from the same supplier ( and both of us have export CITES for the price).

I agree, Xavier.. by the way, I find this quite interesting, albeit kinda sad. This is how wild collected gigantifolium plants look like (these pictures are not mine, and neither are the plants. I found this on a Thai website offering these plants for sale).. I think the plants have come straight from Indonesia (or via a Malaysian distributor), because the newspaper in the background is in Malay..
gigantifolium3.jpg

gigantifolium5.jpg

gigantifolium6.jpg

I think it might be useful to compare the colour of the leaves between wild ones and cultivated gigs. By the way, Xavier, do you think plants in this kind of state can be rescued with so little/no live roots?

You have to take the plant in your hands and see if the roots are broken at their junction with the growths. If yes, it is more difficult. But these look fresh and healthy enough to be grown.

I would expect those plants to survive easily even without roots, but they will loose quite a lot of leaves through dehydratation.

Properly cultivated gigantifolium have the same leaves in fact...

Back