Germinating Cyp subtropicum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s1214215

Reaction score
Hi.

I got some Cyp subtropicum seed from China. Can anyone suggest media and techniques. I have one of the Malgrems Cyp media and a friend will flask it for me.

Will the seed need vernalising. I was told the plants never get below 0 celcius where they grow.

Any advice is much appreciated

Brett

I would almost suspect that C. subtropicum may be more comparable in culture/flasking to the Selenipedium.

That may not be that hepful given that I don't know of anyone flasking or doing much of anything with Selenipedium.

I also wouldn't expect the need to vernalize these seeds.

The only nursery I know of that has done selenipedium is Equagenera.

http://www.ecuagenera.com/epages/whitelabel4.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/ecuagenera

They might be able to help.

That sounds good. You better contact them Brett:clap:

That's pretty useless, Pepe Portilla reported several times he could not germinate them.

Ecuagenera has done selenipedium, but in fact thy collected those prior to sale, nothing more.

I think on the other side there has been some people who germinated in Germany cypripedium irapeanum, and that one is for sure similar to subtropicum. Try to contact Werner Frosch directly, he had a website before www.cypripedium.de

Dry seeds of any cypripedium are fine providing the germination media is suitable. That's the trick, and it is the same for paphs too, dry seeds germinate very well, but people must know how to handle those ( and many labs do not and do not want to do, as it is more time consuming).

Thanks for the advice everyone.. I have emailed Michael at the Cyp forum, who works for Mr. Frosch. Will see if I get a reply.

I think I will get small amounts sown different ways and experiment and see what happens.

Brett

If you are lucky please tell use.

Till now no germination on all media.

Cyps grow the best from green pods.

Dry seed of this species looks very difficult.

Depends what medium you are using. Mr Perner, had germination I heard, but never heard if they are started growing.

Hopefully someone will find it out.

Hi

I heard Holger had a good germination and plants in flask, but a staffer managed to kill the plants while he was away.

Good news though as of today. SOmeone I supplied dry seed to last year in the USA has made seedlings. Hoping for more info on this as I want to get seed to germinate here in Australia.

Brett

Latest posts

Back