Gardens at Post Hill Spring List

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, Our spring list is up. The "cheap seedlings intended to get folks interested in Cyp's" this spring is Cypripedium parviflorum var makasin. The parents of these seedlings are spectacular little guys that clump magnificiently. I have one for the Boston Flower Show that should be completely open tomorrow or Monday - I will post a photo. While I am not good at detecting flower scents, this is the first makasin I have had in the house and this morning the flowers did indeed have an "intense, sweet scent" per Sheviak. Indeed, they smell like a very thick, warm sugar solution.

If you order from the list - its at www.gardensatposthill.com - and pay by check, please take 10% off on everything - plants and supplies - except the Cyp parviflorum makasin seedlings - I barely cover postage and media costs for these. Just note on the order form - or email message - that you saw the ad on the slippertalk forum. I will donate 5% of total proceeds from those who mention slippertalk to the maintenance fund - thank you for a very informative and beautiful experience! A special special - for those who do not have a ready source of the growing medium, we now sell it in 2 gallon bags, enough for three - four 6 inch pots. The usual price including shipping is $20.00 but if you use the order form and pay by check, the cost is $15.00 if you mention slippertalk.

Some of the plants are in short supply so order early - if you send an email message to [email protected] saying your check is on the way, then your place in line is reserved as of the time your message is posted.

Here is a pot of the Cyp makasin seedlings at 6 weeks after planting.

Best,

Ron Burch

Cypseedlingspot.jpg

I'm tempted!!! But, isn't makasin a fairly northerly variety? Is it something that can survive in a NYC summer? If so, I'm interested! By the way...can I take my reginae's out of the fridge yet? Or should I leave them longer....Thanks, Eric

Hi,

The reginae can come any time now so long as they stay in the house. Makasin does extremely well for me in Wilton (by Long Island Sound - temps identical to NYC) and in Litchfield - further north and higher altitude. They are the fastest growing of any of the yellow varieties I have worked with.

Ron

I'm tempted!!! But, isn't makasin a fairly northerly variety? Is it something that can survive in a NYC summer? If so, I'm interested! By the way...can I take my reginae's out of the fridge yet? Or should I leave them longer....Thanks, Eric

Latest posts

Back