Garbage???Philippinense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give it one more chance, I would think!
3 in 3 might point to genetics, but to rule out for sure, that cultural factors aren't at play, please give the poor plant just one more chance, before it ends on the heap!

Last edited:
If you going to trash it I would offer it sanctuary. I dont mind the split synsepal.
I was thinking the same thing, Tyrone.
Me2....and for once in a life time my geographical placement carries a CITES-generated advantage! And while we are at it, to get the most out of the money spent on DHL, Istvan, you are more than welcome to put a few divisions of some of your gorgeous Catt.s in the box, too! 😁 😁 :cool::cool:

There are apparently naturally occurring clones with split synsepal per below. I wonder if instead of being an aberration, it’s a form that’s awaiting recognition?
1621546037752.png

I wouldn’t have even noticed it, and if I weren’t interested in breeding or having it judged meaning if people looking for plants through breeding didn’t care about a split synsepal especially if it’s like that in nature, I would care 0% about its being split

A split synsepal is not a trait of Paphiopedilum species evolutionary. The few plants that show this consistently might have a genetic disposition for it but is by no means the norm.

It can be an attractive trait visually but unfortunately is a fatal flaw in AOS judging at this time.

A split synsepal is not a trait of Paphiopedilum species evolutionary. The few plants that show this consistently might have a genetic disposition for it but is by no means the norm.

It can be an attractive trait visually but unfortunately is a fatal flaw in AOS judging at this time.
Thanks.My thought was the same.I will go to garbage.....my problem was the next: if synsepal is splitted at one flower, could be "subnormal"...bur all of flowers...it is genetical abnormality.

Thanks.My thought was the same.I will go to garbage.....my problem was the next: if synsepal is splitted at one flower, could be "subnormal"...bur all of flowers...it is genetical abnormality.
I would flower it a second time to see. Due to complexity of genes, it may take a second or third blooming to stabilize.

The ‘subnormal’ flower is an ‘attempt’. So give it a few more chances.

Instead of chucking it away later, donate it out?

Latest posts

Back