Galearis spectabilis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cdub

Tis the season for natives on the East Coast. This is one of the first species to bloom around here, and is quite common in the right habitat. In eastern Virginia, this orchid grows in rich humus in shady spots in deciduous woodlands. It requires very moist soil, or at least no periods of extreme drought, so it's often found near small streams or on swampy ground. Enjoy.

showyorchisro0.jpg

showyorchis2ju0.jpg

showyorchisgroupdm7.jpg

I also found this millipede on its way through the leaf litter! If my Google skills serve me correctly, it is Narceus americanus, one of the largest millipedes in the US.

millipedekv7.jpg

OMG. please, a warning before millipede blow up pix!!!!

nice to see the native. Pretty sure it's not to be found here in Arlington, LOL.

These photos were taken in a nature stand of Galearis, of the largest groupings I have ever seen. I estimated over 100 plants on a ravine slope a few hundred square meters in area. I understand they are quite amenable to cultivation though, as long as you have a damp, shady spot.

Latest posts

Back