Fuuran - Fuukiran - Neofinetia falcata Megathread

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread was at the very top of the page, yet, I've never noticed its presence before. ha~

My favorites are any good colored tiger varieties. I understand the growing technic is important but each individual ( as there are now many from seed propagation) seems to have different levels of showing colors under the same conditions.

I like certain striped varieties.

All mine are fukurin, tiger, plain green and unique flower forms and colors. Oh, and one shima.
All are readily available varieties, but I like what I have.
They are reliable and cute enough for me.
I'm not into typical flower forms of bean leaf nor dark pigmented leaf varieties.

If I had ideal conditions, like greenhouse with higher humidity and proper winter, then I wouldn't mind getting expensive varieties like variegated ( white shima) Amami types as there are many beautiful mutations among that group.
I would also love to have miniature plant bearing sky-facing flowers with three spurs ( forgot the name) as well as a good sized Hanamatoi. The latter are more affordable but still quite a bit, and good sized ones are not commonly offered.

What I have:

A couple of Amami Island strain
Kinroukaku of different forms
Koganenishiki
Kinyuko
Fugaku
Higashidemiyako
Gojofukurin
Tenkeifukurin
Fujinishiki
Hisui
Kishuryofuku
Hanakanzashi
Manjushage
Kasen
Hakuun
Shutennou
A few hybrids with typical flower shape with different colors
Some that I don't know the English names of.

Of these, I will get rid of most of the hybrids as they bloom out and keep only what I like the best.
Also, Kishuryofuku, whose leaves arch gracefully but the flowers are basically white. I'd rather have more Hisui.
Shutennou, mind is a crappy one. In search of a nice one.

Last edited:
I am so glad this thread was pointed out to me. I am very interested in Neofinetia but it seems a struggle to learn, in need of a field guide to the varieties in English. Hausermann’s has a vast table of seed-grown Neofinetia in regular and net pots/bark, with roots sprawling all over each other. It’s fun to search for differences among these plants but the only named variety I have seen there are tiny mounted Hisui. I would love some good ruby-rooted variety and an srill kofkng myself for failing to grab a “Taiga” off eBay, which gesturing leaf arch that conjured a leaping ballerina. The bean-leafed varieties are very charming but I never see a good one for a reasonable price. I belong to Fukiran Society but they don’t seem to do much. I only have 2 plants, one from that crazy table at Hausermann’s and some purportedly mauve variety from a Facebook purveyor. The prices were right and I like to test grow. But I would like real quality Fukiran.

This is my Nishidemiyako Vanda. I haven't been growing it for very long but so far seems to like the conditions. I put it center below my grow light where it gets ~400fc (don't know the par or other measurements). Watering is simple as I just soak it in a bucket of water for 5-7minutes, twice a week.

Attachments

• 0326191648_HDR.jpg
    0326191648_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
I love the information in the first part of this thread, the discovery and historical confusion of the placement of the genera.

I had a FB page of my Neofinetias many moons ago. But I sold away this collection when I moved. I thought I’d share a little of my past:

https://m.facebook.com/pages/catego...t/Japanese-Neofinetia-Orchid-518720534853007/

Hopefully this info will enhance the knowledge of this little orchid to the new and seasoned growers.

I love the information in the first part of this thread, the discovery and historical confusion of the placement of the genera.

I had a FB page of my Neofinetias many moons ago. But I sold away this collection when I moved. I thought I’d share a little of my past:

https://m.facebook.com/pages/catego...t/Japanese-Neofinetia-Orchid-518720534853007/

Hopefully this info will enhance the knowledge of this little orchid to the new and seasoned growers.

I remember you having an extensive neo collection with tons of beautiful variegated varieties. I'm sure whoever acquired your neos is extremely happy with them. They were all so well grown.

I remember you having an extensive neo collection with tons of beautiful variegated varieties. I'm sure whoever acquired your neos is extremely happy with them. They were all so well grown.
Thanks Marco.

I get updates from some of them and the ones I know of are doing well.

Latest posts

Back