Fuukiran, just leaves though!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, there are so many Neo enthusiasts on this forum and there is not a Neo forum that I know of, maybe we should have a separate Neo (what's the word I'm looking for......I've got sometimers again.....) section.

Reference! Is the word…I guess!
As far as I can see this is already a reference work for Neo’s and I’m so glad I came here to find it starting the same minute I walk through the door. I’m following this post in utter awe, and I will get started collecting these as well. Maybe not tomorrow or next week, but I will. I’m wondering if it is okay to “spoil” this post with questions, since I would have many. This is a first for me, finding more than 2 people interested in these fantastic plants. So…let me know if you want stupid questions or if you’d rather keep it like a picture book.
Thanks so much for these photos!!!

I love your 'Kinginrasha'! This is one of my favorite varieties. Its very compact nature is quite desirable to me. To my eye the plant has the form of a fountain, and the overall texture is really cool! The flowers are adorable as well. I have two plants of this variety. One has faint thin yellow edges on leaves grown in good light, and the other has slightly more pronounced but still very thin red edges on leaves grown in good light. The one with red edges seems to be more free-blooming and faster-growing than the other plant, but otherwise they seem to be identical. :)

Your 'Seikai' looks very healthy! Mine gets roots and grows and multiplies, but the leaves never open very wide. I'm always wondering if I am giving it too little water or if I am giving it too much light -- probably the latter, or maybe mine is just an inferior division. It isn't shrivelled. It has never flowered for me, but I have seen many of my friends' 'Seikai' plants in flower. They are awesome! My 'Unkai' on the other hand does very well for me. Its flowers, as I'm sure you know, are formed in a manner very much similar to those of 'Seikai'. I currently have two spikes with tiny buds. The flowers aren't nearly as pink as the flowers of 'Seikai' but they do have noticeable touches and blushes of pink on them. :clap:

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures, Tom. Does your Black Pearl have the mud brown roots? Mine have been red for 3 growing seasons now. They started out brown early this Spring but now, they are red again. Not sure why.

You know, the roots alone could hook me. So easy to see that they are healthy. I wish I liked the blooms more.

You know, the roots alone could hook me. So easy to see that they are healthy. I wish I liked the blooms more.

I'd have to agree about the roots :) as they can be quite beautiful. It's fun watching them grow too! As for the flowers, I find in their simplicity an elegant perfection of beauty not often seen in many other types of orchids. They are small, but when amassed in simultaneous bloom, the overall vision and fragrance can be stunning! :drool: I think my 'Manjyushage' with three spurs will open its first bud later today or tomorrow. :clap: One of the other things I especially like about Neos is their miniature size, yet the flowers aren't nearly as small as those of Trichoglottis triflora and many other species which have flowers so tiny they require magnifying glasses to appreciate. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the pictures, Tom. Does your Black Pearl have the mud brown roots? Mine have been red for 3 growing seasons now. They started out brown early this Spring but now, they are red again. Not sure why.

Not that I know. They seem to be similar to the others - whitish/gray when mature. I don't remember the tip color though. Root tips are one of the selling points of these. My favorite ones are deep crimson purple ones like those of 'Shutennou'.

Looking forward to those shots of 'Manjushage' Mark!

Not that I know. They seem to be similar to the others - whitish/gray when mature. I don't remember the tip color though. Root tips are one of the selling points of these. My favorite ones are deep crimson purple ones like those of 'Shutennou'.
Oh sorry, what I was referring to is actually the roots TIPS. Kuro Shinjyu is supposed to have dark green leaves, mud axis and mud brown root tips. For some unknown reason my root tips on that plant have always been red during the summer.

Great photos and plants!

Latest posts

Back