Fungus on paph?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebo

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I went to repot a paph I received about a week and a half ago and noticed this white stringy substance all over the roots? Can anyone give me any insight into what it is and if I should be concerned? Thank you.

Attachments

• 9CB6C191-08F9-4988-881B-733044452A7C.jpeg
    9CB6C191-08F9-4988-881B-733044452A7C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 801A09B7-FE7C-4CBD-887D-288A9F98F15B.jpeg
    801A09B7-FE7C-4CBD-887D-288A9F98F15B.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • F58720C9-8ECC-4FC1-83FA-1D7255C051DC.jpeg
    F58720C9-8ECC-4FC1-83FA-1D7255C051DC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
It appears that there's not much root judging from the leaf span of the plant. I don't have insight into fungus, but
I assume you've cleaned all that stuff off and repotted in a small pot to encourage new root growth.

It appears that there's not much root judging from the leaf span of the plant. I don't have insight into fungus, but
I assume you've cleaned all that stuff off and repotted in a small pot to encourage new root growth.
Yeah, cleaned it up as best I could and fit it into the smellers pot I could. It didn’t have many roots left by the time I was done. I’m really bummed….only just received this one about a week ago.

Did you get it from Orchid Inn? Tag looks familiar. Just ask the vendor to see what he will do for you.

It could have come from Sam's nursery but he has retired and is not in business anymore.
I have seen the same stringy fungus on hundreds of plants over the years. Since fungus feed only on dead and decaying plant material, there is no cause for alarm. I repot all of my Paphiopedilums on a yearly basis now as they respond very well with new growth and new roots. This is possibly as a result of old media breaking down and it needs to be redone. But you are taking care of that right now. I would not be concerned.

Did you get it from Orchid Inn? Tag looks familiar. Just ask the vendor to see what he will do for you.
I did receive it from Orchid Inn. I ordered six last week and two of them came looking a bit sketchy. I was tempted to email Sam but I kind of feel bad considering how many paphs he’s sent that have always looked incredible.

I did receive it from Orchid Inn. I ordered six last week and two of them came looking a bit sketchy. I was tempted to email Sam but I kind of feel bad considering how many paphs he’s sent that have always looked incredible.
You should ask Sam about it and send him the photos and see what he can do! You paid good money for good plants.

It could have come from Sam's nursery but he has retired and is not in business anymore.

Who is running the nursery now? I just received an order a few days ago and was a bit disappointed to see a couple of previously bloomed plants among what were supposed to be NBS seedlings but I didn't want to bother Sam over it after so many years of great quality.

His plants went to a few people I think. I know that Rob Halgren over at Little Frog took some but I am not aware as to who else might have plants. But if Sam doesn't have them anymore, I would not keep ordering from him. They might have been Sam's plants at one time but they are under some one else's care at this point.

I would suggest that not only did his plants go elsewhere, but his labels probably did as well. I have no proof but I would suspect that Sam is living in Florida, especially for the cold northern winters.
Him and his wife have probably selected a builder by now, a year ago January, and are awaiting its completion.
I have to edit this and say that it was last March that I spoke to Sam here in Ann Arbor and he was moving, and liquidating, ASAP.

I obviously can’t convince you.
I can’t explain it but we have not seen Sam up here in months. He has not signed up to be a vendor in Cleveland in early February. He is not selling or exhibiting in Lansing in late February where he has been a fixture at those paces since I moved here in 2018.
And the last time I saw Rob Halgren, I believe he said he had a lot, if not all of Sam’s Phrags. I can’t recall exactly what he said about the larger Roth type hybrids. I can’t remember where all of Sam’s brachy’s went. Come to think of it, I have not seen Rob for a few months but that’s not unusual.
And Sam’s wife was forcing him to slow down and take it easy after a serious stroke. She wanted them to move to a warmer climate. He looked at me straight in my face and new he needed to give it up, the pace, the work load. I can’t imagine why he would ever go back on his word.

I don't know why you're getting so bent out of shape, I don't have a clue where Sam may be but the tracking doesn't lie. You can put any address you want on the label but that doesn't change the point of origin when FedEx picks it up.

It looks like mould to me, and the roots are rotting as well. I`ve never found such in any of my pots, what kind of material was it planted in? If you have washed the roots thoroughly before planting it again in a clean pot and new material, don`t see any reason for the mould to grow back. But you can keep an eye on it and see how it`s doing. :)

Latest posts

Back