Fun Surprise

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
This plant was gifted to me (not in bloom) from a friend in my Orchid Society.

The tag read Camerotis mannii. Now its in bloom and definitely not a Camerotis.

I found out what this is by just plowing through pictures in the orchid encyclopedia. I'm pretty sure I have it down to the species, but there are 2 that look very similar.

Let's see how fast you all can identify:wink:

Not something I think I've seen before.
Interesting growth habit. Is this how this normally grows?

Looks like my Pelatantheria insectifera

That's it. I've had one for many years that I got from Santa Barbara Orchid Estate and I think I've found that they don't particularly care for a ton of light. I currently have mine hanging in the rafters with a couple of Vandas as an experiment and even though it bloomed there I can tell it's not ecstatic. I'm going to move it into a lower light position when it's done blooming.

It's a fairly widespread and high elevation species. Himalayas, Myanmar Southern China, North Vietnam

According to the books it likes to climb in bushes or on limestone outcrops. Sounds like it should do good with something like Doritus pulcherima, but maybe cooler.

This one is at the brighter end of the GH but under the Vandas so somewhat shaded. I might move it toward the cooler end of the GH but increase the light a tadd. Lots of new roots and some new growth before the flowers showed up, but the roots don't seem to want to attach to the cork bark. I think I'll stick it in a basket with a bunch of limestone chips and see what it thinks.

If I hadn't had one, I'd never be able to figure out what is was!

I've had mine for two years and it doesn't seem to like it too bright although this year I decided to mount it and up the light just a bit which gave the leaf tips a bit of a red tinge. Seems to be doing ok. Mine grows much like yours. It does not seem to be a real 'root' maker. Compared with other species like Phals or even the neo and asco types, this guy is slow to put out roots and can live quite well with a single root stuck out. I'm anxious to see how it does mounted on tree fern.

I've had mine for two years and it doesn't seem to like it too bright although this year I decided to mount it and up the light just a bit which gave the leaf tips a bit of a red tinge.

After seeing the changes in leaf color in both high and low light plants after the nutrition changes I've been making, I would cut back on the potassium and increase the Calcium and magnesium.

One of my best examples is a Dendrobium lichenastrum. Because of the terete leaves I put it in the brightest portion of the GH. It turned red/purple and I thought it was kicking but because of that. However it hardly bloomed and grew somewhat slowly. I hit it with some Mag sulfate and it turned green in short notice, then I started upping the Ca (with CaNO3). It grows like a maniac, and leaf length is much longer than when it was in its red/purple state.

Pretty much the same story for a Doritus pulcharima. (Though growing shadier).

By the time I got this Pelatantharia I had already stopped the high K treatment. I've only had it since May or June, but its added new roots and a few new leaves (before flowering).

Back