Fulvic/Humic acid anyone?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjorn

Reaction score
Was told from a trustworthy source that fulvic acid did wonders to his phrags. Are there anyone that uses it or that have experiences using fulvic or humic acid?

Was told from a trustworthy source that fulvic acid did wonders to his phrags. Are there anyone that uses it or that have experiences using fulvic or humic acid?

I use both on all my orchids with good results

LOL; not on Phrags ... but I take Fulvic acid myself, and regularly use Humic acid in the vegetable garden. Definitely good stuff. Could see how it would be a benefit.

Can we backtrack a little? What are these organic acids, where do they occur in nature, and if we want to supplement, what are the sources and dosages? And if I use products such as Inocucor, seaweed extract and fish fertilizer, am I already adding them?

I had used fulvic acid for a little while but got distracted. Humates and humic acid can be found in soils and i think more so in composts. The Suwanee river down in Florida that's known for being very brown because of many humates in the water.
Both F and H are supposed to actively help transport chemicals in plant cells; would really have to read up in science journals and online to get the best understanding and I've forgotten some so don't want to misinform

I just used the rate the bottle said to use

Last edited:
Use them in addition/combo with the seaweed.

exactely what i do,fulvic+humic+seaweed+fish emulsion ....not best smell...

Now is over 1 year and seems all plants enjoy it....best results are on Coelogyne cool growers that can be difficult to grow like odoardii,kaliana,radioferens etc...

on Phrags results are very nice and also on Paphs (also small seedlings)

And at what concentration/frequency should it be used?
I have been using "brown" bog water for many years with good results, perhaps this explains some of that?

Fulvic acid is found in seaweed fertilizer well at least in mine, and spray leaves once week, didn't notice much changed. the humic acid i get as a granular feed from crushed leonardite. I have used the humic acid for the last year with outstanding results a pinch per pot every month or so. It creates multiple new leads for me where there used to be just one. Stronger happier plants.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

One gram powder per liter? Every watering or just once say every two weeks?

One gram of powder or liquid because it is only anyone's guess for the correct dosage now. (I'm testing a new seaweed product from Peru and my seaweed is also powder so I just guess at one gram).
I'm using as a foliar spray (drench) a couple times per week. I would mix in fertilizer also but it's not convenient because I use too much volume to irrigate.

Thanks, I'll distribute it as I do with Kelp, though I'll bet one gram per liter is more than necessary.
Interesting smell of that stuf.......

I don't know much about this topic, but there appear to be big differences among products, based on the source of extraction. The ratio of fulvic to humid acid is very different.

http://www.bioag.com/educationandresources.html

Well, the information is not from the third party, so I'm not sure how reliable the info is, though.

More fluvic acid seems to be more promising for orchids (but more expensive).

In a couple scientific studies (with crops), they were using around 50mg/l, and above that, it wasn't any more (or less) effective.

I'm going to give a try with BioAg product, too.

Looks like there are methods of extracting humid acids from peat, humus, or composts. I think one paper talked about humic acid extracted from worm composting was more potent than the commercial products.

Too much will cause a plant to "un grow"?
How does a plant reverse growth?
:poke:

Seriously, do you have any data on rates that cause a growth problem?

:eek: Yes you know what I mean. As far as rates, I read something just 2 days ago where they found a down-turn in growth rate after a certain concentration but damned if I can find it now.
This abstract suggests 20ml and 50ml per L were optimum for 2 different formulations which kind of says that 50ml of the first and 20ml of the second was not as good.
If you would like to pay for the full text, I would love to read it:evil:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/01904169809365424
In this trial 10-15ml was not enough and 100ml was too much:
http://thegrowcomp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/P-Hydroponics-Greenhouses.pdf

Latest posts

Back