Frumpy micranthum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This plant set a bud back in July and has finally opened. I don’t think it will stretch out much more. The actual “Slipper” is as big as a golf ball, but I think the petals and the remainder of the flower are going to keep their “frumpiness”!6CE3D79E-33C3-45F3-868E-956E9AC26C81.jpeg571F19E4-94BF-40AC-B247-C6F194DB7853.jpeg

Is it getting too much light? That might lead to some issues with flower development sometimes. It could be the lighting / camera, but the leaf color looks pale and makes me thing it's the light levels.

Perhaps, light might be too much, about 18” from 6 T5’s. I’ll raise them up.

If it were my plant, I'd try that for sure. Micranthum typically has fairly dark green leaves. Obviously there are other possible causes for light green leaves, such as nutrient deficiencies which might also contribute to flower deformities, but in this case the uniformly light green appearance of the leaves makes me think it's light related.

I don't grow P. micranthum, but I do grow some of its hybrids under LED shop lights, and I can say that they grow and bloom just fine much further from the lights than 18".

Thanks for the input everyone. Also a malipoense with a spike and a faireanium blooming and a complex paph with a spike and I was kinda thinking things were ok because of the spikes/blooms. But the malipoense is a lighter green to! Time to raise the lights.

Thanks for the input everyone. Also a malipoense with a spike and a faireanium blooming and a complex paph with a spike and I was kinda thinking things were ok because of the spikes/blooms. But the malipoense is a lighter green to! Time to raise the lights.

Oh yes. I do grow and bloom quite a number of P. malipoense. Those are even further from the lights than the P. micranthum hybrids and I have no issues getting them to bloom. They definitely look more attractive with darker green foliage.

Back