From Flask to Comunity Pots - A Photo Essay

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking plants! I like how you did the compots. Where did you get the plastic grid that you placed on top of the egg crate?

The plastic mesh on top of the egg-crate is from a craft store. It’s a plastic canvas used to sew yarn on for making crafts. It comes in an assortment of sizes and shapes. Walmart also sells it in their craft department. It’s works good to make your own baskets to hold smaller medium... sew it together with fishing line.

Thanks! I bought some of the mesh today and converted a couple of my compot trays for the next flask I get.

Phred, have to tried using a heat mat with your plants? If so does it help? For some growing media I think heat mats are almost essential, but your pots are quite shallow perhaps a heat mat might dry the bark too fast?

I do use a heat mat in the winter some times. Most of my compots are on metal shelves with a light underneath that lights the shelf below it. That produces a little heat which seems to be beneficial especially when the room is colder. On occasion I have more compots than will fit, I only have 16’ of compot/seedling shelf... lol, so I use the heat mat for the overflow in the winter. My heat mat has a metal frame over it so the plants don’t actually sit directly on it.

Wonderful post. Booked-marked for easy reference. I've spent an hour or more on-line trying to locate a source for those sturdy looking green compots that you pictured. I couldn't find anything like them. I also checked Orchids Limited for the 4x4 square net-bottom pots tomkalina pictured, as well as general searches for them. No luck. Would you be able to offer some guidance? Alternatively, maybe a wide bulb pan might work? Thanks!

Wonderful post. Booked-marked for easy reference. I've spent an hour or more on-line trying to locate a source for those sturdy looking green compots that you pictured. I couldn't find anything like them. I also checked Orchids Limited for the 4x4 square net-bottom pots tomkalina pictured, as well as general searches for them. No luck. Would you be able to offer some guidance? Alternatively, maybe a wide bulb pan might work? Thanks!
They're black now..
Here's the link

https://www.greenhousemegastore.com...?returnurl=/search?q=small+seed+starter+trays

I have some of the black square pots, they originally come with a clear dome top. I tried searching online for them but didn’t see with quick look. Seems like ‘high drain’ was part of the previous search phrase when I found them. They are great for community pots.
There are also ‘perma-nest’ heavy duty plant trays with no holes in bottom. No longer green, but cream colored

Nice! For Paphs I just leave most of the agar on (I spray it loose and peel some off the edges). I just stick the puck undisturbed into a pot with medium under and around it, and keep the pot in a half-open gallon zip lock bag for a few months. I have found the longer the compot stays in the ziplock the better the plants do.

The agar will melt away over time, and I repot and separate the group into a few more compots after 6 months when the roots are much stronger.

Thanks for you help, cnycharles. I’ll have a look for those. In the meantime, the ones Phred linked me to will get me started. :)

Last edited:
Nice! For Paphs I just leave most of the agar on (I spray it loose and peel some off the edges). I just stick the puck undisturbed into a pot with medium under and around it, and keep the pot in a half-open gallon zip lock bag for a few months. I have found the longer the compot stays in the ziplock the better the plants do.

The agar will melt away over time, and I repot and separate the group into a few more compots after 6 months when the roots are much stronger.
That’s interesting. I was looking at a post on You Tube and the guy said it was important to wash off all the agar because it could breed fungus, mold, etc.

Last edited:
That’s interesting. I was looking at a post on You Tube and the guy said it was important to wash off all the agar because it could breed fungus, mold, etc.
In the past I've left most of the agar on. A year later when I replanted it was still pretty much there. It depends on the agar... if it comes off easy I take as much off as possible without disturbing the roots. The seedlings definitely do better without too much agar.
I also find that it's better to get the seedlings acclimated to your growing area as soon as possible. The idea is to start watering a little more because there is a relationship between how fast you can grow seedlings and the amount of water you give it. The more you CAN water a seedling the faster it will grow. If they're not drying you can't water.
I generally take about two weeks or so to acclimate seedlings to my growing area.
Also, if you do keep your compots in a ziplock or use domes you should let the seedlings dry off after watering before returning them to the ziplock or covering back up with the dome.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back