From Flask to Comunity Pots - A Photo Essay

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Masaccio, I've been trying to do start a conversation with you regarding these but for some reason it won't let me. Have you in some way turned off the function to get a private conversation started?
Not intentionally. I'll check my settings. That would be great.

Conversations enabled now.

Last edited:
In the past I've left most of the agar on. A year later when I replanted it was still pretty much there. It depends on the agar... if it comes off easy I take as much off as possible without disturbing the roots. The seedlings definitely do better without too much agar.
I also find that it's better to get the seedlings acclimated to your growing area as soon as possible. The idea is to start watering a little more because there is a relationship between how fast you can grow seedlings and the amount of water you give it. The more you CAN water a seedling the faster it will grow. If they're not drying you can't water.
I generally take about two weeks or so to acclimate seedlings to my growing area.
Also, if you do keep your compots in a ziplock or use domes you should let the seedlings dry off after watering before returning them to the ziplock or covering back up with the dome.
Awesome advice, Phred. I appreciate it so much.

That’s interesting. I was looking at a post on You Tube and the guy said it was important to wash off all the agar because it could breed fungus, mold, etc.

True that would seem to be a risk, but it has never cause a problem for me. It might also depend on the formulation. My flasks are typically all from Orchid Inn.

Maybe it is just me. When I had to buy the 4 inch compots they were expensive and came with a 4 1/2 inch tall clear plastic top. I think most of mine came from Kelly's Corner. I was then trying to grow micranthum seedling just using the bottoms. Now I use them for flasks. Now let me be clear I am far from an expert at this. I grow them in natural light in my front entrance way. No heat in there but there is a glass door and a small window. The heat comes in from the living room. Heat is 70 daytime and 60 at night, but I would assume cooler in there. These are flasks that arrived in Oct of this year. They will start taking off faster once we hit March. Plenty of room in there for the plants to grow. I grow in sphagnum moss and this time of year leave them over a month without additional watering. Nor do I take the top off unless I'm checking to see if they need water. Apparently they don't need the air movement that every seems to think they require. Just my two cents. Do what worksIMG_0662.jpg for you.

Latest posts

Back