from a walk....March 2013!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

biothanasis

Hello all,

I would like to share some photos from a walk at Edipsos (Evia island, Central Greece), about a week ago.

some orchids...

Ophrys bombyliflora
bomb_zps0cad49e5.jpg

Ophrys speculum
P3160081_zps11ae0063.jpg

spec3_zpsa48055f2.jpg

P3160084_zpsf8445ca4.jpg

Ophrys leptomera
P3160071_zps435f4961.jpg

P3160072_zps744020a5.jpg

Ophrys mammosa
mamo_zpsa2dba7f4.jpg

Ophrys lutea group
phryg1_zps391c20ea.jpg

P3160090_zps05e4b971.jpg

Orchis italica (buds)
italica-1_zpsd4cbc701.jpg

Anacamptis papilionacea
papil3_zps04fec240.jpg

Himantoglossum robertianum (2 colour variations...)
rob2_zps53487b68.jpg

rob_zps13bfe02f.jpg

Neotinea lactea (mature inflorescence and seedpods)
noid5_zps32041fcf.jpg

and some non-orchids

Hermodactylus tuberosus
herm2_zpsbf60cd77.jpg

mantis....
empusa_zpsec977967.jpg

bee hive on olive tree
beeeeees_zpsd87613ab.jpg

Really nice photos! The orchid with the very blue "tongue" is outstanding
and just a little spooky. The bloom must look very much like whatever
insect pollinates it. All the little tricks that orchids use to seduce pollinators
fascinates me.

Looks like a great day in the field!

What pollinates the Ophrys?
Photos are very good, tripod???

Thank you all for your comments :)

Clark, no tripod, just me and the camera. The plant are that small, that sometimes I have to lie down and photo them, so less disturbance in the photos taken :)
Also most Ophrys species are pollinated by bees and similar insects, but I have no idea which ones :(

TDT, we had almost no snow here (ok, up on the mountains, yes it snowed a lot...) so I envy you in a way :) Shouldn't it start getting milder by now?

Lovely pictures of a great area. I always stay at Kamena Voura on the way north from Athens. Flying direct to Thessalonika this time on the 3rd May to look at crocuses in the mountains

I am glad that you like them as much as I do :)

Tony do you visit Greece often? At the time you will be at Thessaloniki, it will be Easter holidays and I will be at my parents again... And yes, Kamena Vourla is very close to my parents...! :)

Tom yes, it is quite warm, but lots of rain this year... which is kind of good as I see it... :)

I have been in the spring perhaps twelve times and about eight in the autumn and covered all of the mainland at both seasons. I have never been to any of the islands.

I was in the Peloponnese last November looking at autumn flowering bulbs.

This spring I am visiting Mts Falackro, Vermion, Voros and Olympus as well as the Florina area. Direct flights have started from Manchester to Thessalonika and this makes life a lot easier and far less driving when I arrive.

Latest posts

Back