Fritz Schomburg triploid and tetraploid

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With Jerry Fischer's permission, I am posting a couple of pictures that Orchids Limited posted on their Facebook page today. During the growth of a bunch of new plants from a standard diploid Fritz Schomburg cross, Jerry and Jason noticed a decidedly different plant in terms of leaf and plant structure. They suspected it was a natural tetraploid mutant. That plant is now in first flower and they happen to also have one of their excellent triploid Fritz Schomburg plants to compare. The next picture shows the two flowers side by side. It is obvious which spike and flower is the presumed tetraploid.

FSboth.jpg

The next picture is of the presumed tetraploid flower next to Jerry's hand (Jerry is an average size man).

FS4.jpg

It is probably too soon to know if the tetraploid will do any reflexing as it matures, but the flower substance is heavy.

I had been thinking that a chemical conversion of a diploid FS cross was going to be needed to get to a tetraploid, but spontaneous mutation is another way to do it!

Yay besseae hybrids! You can almost always tell increased ploidy from the leaves too. I believe the reflex in the petals is due to moisture (or insufficiency thereof) in the internal structure. Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back