Free Sample Offer

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have gathered that there are a fair number of folks in this forum that purchase flasks of plants, so I want to post this offer. First some background:

First Rays is about to become the sole US retail outlet for an OMRI-listed biological solution that acts as a "plant probiotic". (I actually have stock, but we're in the middle of finalizing the agreement with the Canadian manufacturer.) It's called Garden Solution, made by Inocucor in Canada.

Most of the work with it (McGill & Clemson Universities, hydroponic food operations in Ontario, and some farms in SC) have been done on food crops, where it has shown to increase seed germination rates and increase yields in stuff like rice, leafy greens, strawberries, broccoli, corn, etc.

As far as orchids are concerned, when applied to ex-flask seedlings, it has shown a marked improvement in survival and growth rate, essentially eliminating any damping-off. Holger Pernar has used the stuff to greatly enhance the survival of Paph. tigrinum, which is basically extinct in China, and known to be particularly hard to culture. Another of my customers said he has had very high survival rates on Paph leucochilum seedlings, and when he opened a newer flask of them, but ran out of the sample I had sent, said the losses were pretty high. I have used it on phal flasks, and have only lost one plant out of about 100 or so.

When applied to more mature plants, it enhances their innate resistance to pathogens, and does stimulate both root- and plant growth. It's not as obvious an effect as the rot prevention in tender seedlings, but it's still noticeable in the long run. Pot growers have commented that they see reduced internode spacing, so get stockier, bushier plants.

So, if you are deflasking plants pretty routinely, or are currently fighting a fungal issue, and would like to try the material, please send me an email ([email protected]) with full name and address, and I will send you a 500 ml bottle (typical usage is 1:100; can be used at 1:50) at no charge. All I ask is that you use it fairly soon and let me know how it goes. US only. I cannot even ship into Canada, where it is produced!

Last edited:
Ray, would you still use seaweed extract, or does Garden Solution replace it?

I'm not asking for a sample because I already got mine directly from Inocucor :D

Ray, would you still use seaweed extract, or does Garden Solution replace it?

I'm not asking for a sample because I already got mine directly from Inocucor :D

Yes, I'm aware of that Alla - you got the "water treatment" that is registered in Ontarion and Quebec. Same stuff, different registration status.

Yes, I still apply KelpMax, as does their VP of sales, a paph species enthusiast.

Pretty cool, Ray. I started to try a similar product just for fun after Gary (Trithor) mentioned about it in worm tea thread. So it will be interesting to see how well this works in different growth condition.

I wonder if you can "brew" Innocutor like EM-1 with Molasses. I don't know why they use anaerobic condition.

Ray, I will be getting many more of my crosses back very soon so I'll try it as well.

Thanks Ray! I've pinpointed the aroma. You know when you've been out drinking all night and you've puked absolutely everything you have to give and you're down to puking bile? Just like that.

Anyone else have a take on it? Maybe a non-alcoholic?

Uh, is it strange to say I've noticed a difference in 12 hours? Maybe it is just placebo effect, but the plants I treated today look like they have perked up, greened up, and put on noticeable leaf growth. I'll take pics tomorrow to compare

It smells like brewer's yeast that's a little past its best before date. I don't think it's that bad a smell - but then I also use a fish fertilizer that smells like a fish market that has failed its health inspection, on a hot summer day.

I think 12 hours is a little too soon to notice a difference. My plants perk up every time I water them, whatever I use.

Got mine, I think that testing it on my paph and phrag seedlings on Thanksgiving will make them very thankful. Thanks to Ray, I will let you know...
Mahalo and Aloha, Fred

The label says to mix it with water (preferably non chlorinated - chlorine will kill the bugs) @ 1:100 and apply throughout the growing season to foliage and soil whenever applying fertilizer, or every 30 days, whichever is more frequent.

For plants showing stress (I'll add - and really tough to grow seedlings), double the concentration and treat weekly.

You don't mix it with fertilizer? I use R.O. water, if it throws the ph one way or the other bcusr R.O. water is unstable, can I balance it with ph up ot down?

So for those of us who fertilize with every watering, what dilution do we use and how often?

Latest posts

Back