Freaky Delenatii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
I posted this plant in bud back in December.

It turns out that third bud grew out of its own spike that developed from the same spot as the initial spike bearing two buds. The bud opened up with some serious malformations.
The dorsal and synsepals are fused together and twisted off to one side. The pouch is minimally formed and became part of a petal base.

This plant has bloomed every spring reliably in the last few years, and this is the first time doing this odd trick.

N31CgUsl.jpg

Backside of the freaky flower for those interested. haha
iPnZfmWl.jpg

I had that happen with a charlesworthii, except the first flower tried to open in the leaf axil and was deformed from the compression. Later another flower stock grew out of the same axil and was normal, but for the next 4 years that section of the plant produced 2 flowered stocks. I was all excited then it reverted back to single flowers. It looks like 2 flower stocks on the malformed one.
Don

First, I think its incredible with 3 flowers on a stem...Althought the first/lowest flower is "odd" I believe that the other flowers has a very very fine shape and really nice color, and they looks quite large...For me to see, they look a bit like the clone called delenatii "giganthum" that has been and still are sold by Popow in Germany, I have one myself and waits in great expectation to see flowers...Good growing and good blooming there my friend

Cheers Hamiltons

This is the "giganthum" type from Popow in Germany...

Attachments

• s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 14
This is the "giganthum" type from Popow in Germany...
Wow~ that really looks to be about the largest one I've seen, although I'm curious how large the flower actually is.
Mine is not big, only at 9cm across. So, it is about average I think.
The leaves are getting bigger than I want, though! haha

Mine is from delenatii 'Star'x delenatii var. album 'Snow Pearl'

Orchid Inn has a delenatii with 12cm natural spread. Now that is huge!!

Latest posts

Back