fragrant godefroye !?!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sangii

malipo nut
Reaction score
have you ever noticed any fragrance on godefroye var leucochilum ?

I saw this one at a friend's place a couple days ago and it has a very weird and strong distinctive fragrance ...... parmesan cheese :confused: first time I notice something like that on a godefroye !!!

_mg_0308.jpg

maybe you wanted a pasta dish when you took a wiff?? :poke: Or maybe your friend made some cheese dish before you visited?

:rolleyes: I knew somebody was gonna say that !

I swear there was no cheese around in the GH, we had a nice lucnh before, no pasta, and I was not craving parmesan !!!

Never noticed a stench on mine. Will pay attention next time. Parmesan cheese eh. concolors can smell like "off" butter which isn't a stretch from parm cheese.

-Ernie

"Smelly Paphs!!"

Do not know why you guys are getting so worked up about Paphs that have a fragrance!!
Quite a few do!
We all know the delenatii is like lemon blossom
primulinum has a perfume that I am never sure how to describe.
malipoense is gorgeous, and varies.
How about hangianum-------------roses all the way!!!
I had a niveum once that certainly had a flowery scent
kolopakingii-----off meat???????????????
Even have known some complex the have an oder on a "warm" day
Anyone else that can add to this list.
No prizes for beating me:evil:

Paul:rollhappy:

You left out emersonii! A good emersonii is fantastic! I've never noticed a fragrance in primulinum, and certainly not in any hybrid, even Lynleigh Koopowits. Even delanatii is variable...I have found, and others have agreed with me, that many of the newer Vietnamese plants seem to have minimal or no fragrance, while the old line bred clones are very fragrant. Then again, Dennis D'Allessandro told me that there is a German strain that has been selected entirely for fragrance. Take care, Eric

I keep hearing reference to fragrance in paphs. If I have to stick my nose close enough to the bloom & inhale pollen while I'm at it, in order to detect a fragrance - IT DOESN'T QUALIFY AS BEING FRAGRANT in my book! I would LOVE to walk a couple feet past my paphs in bloom & detect a fragrance!

Delenatii

Certainly, when we had a batch of about 20+ dels out at one time the PERFUME hit you!!!!

Passionate Paphs!!!!
Paul:evil:

most of the spotted brachypetalums; goderfroyae, concolor, bellatulum, etc have a rancid butter fragrance, or something close. A cheeze fragrance is close enough. Fortunately it is a weak fragrance. Describing fragrance is subjective. The spots of these brachys I believe are to attract certain fly pollenators. The rancid odor makes sense with flies in mind.

My niveum x emersonii - is fragrant and noticable from several feet away. Also Joyce Hasegawa, and other such hybrids.

You left out emersonii! A good emersonii is fantastic! I've never noticed a fragrance in primulinum, and certainly not in any hybrid, even Lynleigh Koopowits. Even delanatii is variable...I have found, and others have agreed with me, that many of the newer Vietnamese plants seem to have minimal or no fragrance, while the old line bred clones are very fragrant. Then again, Dennis D'Allessandro told me that there is a German strain that has been selected entirely for fragrance. Take care, Eric

Did you get any of the special German delenatii strain?

I have a Miller's Sunset (a cream/pink complex from Ratcliffe) which had a faint but very pleasant fragrance.

Certainly, when we had a batch of about 20+ dels out at one time the PERFUME hit you!!!!

Passionate Paphs!!!!
Paul:evil:
So I only need 20? :clap:I had a double double delenatii (2 growths with 2 flowers each), opened at the same time.... you'd have to be in the right time at the right place to detect what I was hoping to be fragrance!:sob:

most of the spotted brachypetalums; goderfroyae, concolor, bellatulum, etc have a rancid butter fragrance, or something close. A cheeze fragrance is close enough. Fortunately it is a weak fragrance. Describing fragrance is subjective. The spots of these brachys I believe are to attract certain fly pollenators. The rancid odor makes sense with flies in mind.

My niveum x emersonii - is fragrant and noticable from several feet away. Also Joyce Hasegawa, and other such hybrids.
I have Joyce & Lynnleigh K.
I don't have sinus problems & granted my husband's nose it more sensitive than mind but he's not smelling anything.
Bring on digbyana & zygos, now we're talking!

Back