forum's technical issues...? Options?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my browser is safari ,and my configuration about cookies is this . accept only cookies from website that normally I visit -could be this a problem ?
thanks in advance.
anna

Hello Anna,
I have the same browser though an older version, and the same settings. I never get logged off. Very odd.... though I use dialup and most people probably have high-speed internet or mobile

do any of you who are getting logged off use wireless modems (and/or are using mobile devices)? .. or .....?

Make sure your not "private browsing" and make sure your settings excepts passwords.

you have to have your browser able to accept(allow) cookies to stay logged in.
Do you have cookies enabled?
(Don't ask me what a cookie is)
Yup.
I have the same problem,when I write a text I go fast login out , in general also my login last a very short time .
is for me very boring because I haven't much skill when i write in english too,so I take a long time and I go login out often.
x gonewild .my browser is safari ,and my configuration about cookies is this . accept only cookies from website that normally I visit -could be this a problem ?
thanks in advance.
anna
I'm using Safari, also. But the same problems with iCab and Firefox.
If you are getting logged off there are 2 things to try...

1. Delete your browser cookies for slippertalk so new ones are sent. If the old cookies are bad you could get logged off.

2. It might make a difference whether you use www. in the address link.
if you normally use http://slippertalk.com try using http://www.slippertalk.com and see if you still get logged off.
If you already use the www. the try it without.

Because it only affects some members it must be the individual connection to the server and that is done with a cookie.

It could also have something to do with new internet laws that limit the amount of time you can be logged in without activity. They supreme rullers are making new rules that are less than convenient.
Interesting idea.
Hello Anna,
I have the same browser though an older version, and the same settings. I never get logged off. Very odd.... though I use dialup and most people probably have high-speed internet or mobile

do any of you who are getting logged off use wireless modems (and/or are using mobile devices)? .. or .....?
Same problem, whether with my wireless connection or cable modem.

Just a reminder that there is a little box to check if you want to stay logged on next to your logon name. When I check that box Slippertalk stays on until I log off.

I have to agree with gonewild.... It has something to do with your personal computer settings.

For the Mac users.. If you have private browsing on, you will have to sign on every time. Even if you check the box.

I don't mess with windows too much any more but they too may have a function like that in your Internet settings.

I recommend clearing your history and cookies (cache too for windows users) make sure all your Internet setting are on default. Double check private browsing is off. And check to see that "user name and password" is checked under autofill in Preferences.

My logged in box is always checked and I've never been logged off or had any "time" posting issues. It's the user preferences like was stated.

I always check the remember me box. I can close my browser and open it again and I am still logged in. If I don't check the box I have to keep logging in, sometimes to make a post I have to log in again. The remember me box is the key I think.

The default is 600 seconds and it is not recommended to change that. We've had larger forum issues (like the site going down) when it has been higher than that. Here's the text from the admin settings:

Session Timeout
This is the time in seconds that a user must remain inactive before their login session expires. This setting also controls how long a user will remain on Who's Online after their last activity.
Also, make sure you check "remember me" when you login.

That said, I don't have this problem either.
You may want to look into browser options as well. I'll poke around the User CP and look into it just to make sure there isn't something else going on.

p.s. I posted this before reading pages 2-4 so now I see many of you are already aware that it may be something on the user end. I generally only get logged off if I join a different wifi network or am off the forum for a longer duration of time. I also use the most recent version of Safari on the iMac and iPad/iPhone with no trouble.

I always check the remember me box. I can close my browser and open it again and I am still logged in. If I don't check the box I have to keep logging in, sometimes to make a post I have to log in again. The remember me box is the key I think.

Checking the "remember me" does not control the system logging out a user unless they leave the site. It does not effect the log off for simply being inactive. If you have it checked your computer will stay logged in until you turn off the computer or log out. So the problem is some people are actually being logged out and some not.

The default is 600 seconds and it is not recommended to change that. We've had larger forum issues (like the site going down) when it has been higher than that. Here's the text from the admin settings:

Also, make sure you check "remember me" when you login.

That said, I don't have this problem either.
You may want to look into browser options as well. I'll poke around the User CP and look into it just to make sure there isn't something else going on.

p.s. I posted this before reading pages 2-4 so now I see many of you are already aware that it may be something on the user end. I generally only get logged off if I join a different wifi network or am off the forum for a longer duration of time. I also use the most recent version of Safari on the iMac and iPad/iPhone with no trouble.

Strange it affects some and not others? We encountered the same time out problem with our ZenCart admin login, inactive for 900 seconds and the software auto logs out. This is a real pain and when I asked about it I was told 900 seconds was a limit by actual law and increasing it longer was a criminal offense. :mad: The rule was created for our own protection? :mad:
I was not aware it applied to the public side of the software because that is a real issue with software like shopping carts if your customer gets logged out if the shop too slow. :sob: Obviously it also affects the quality of posts made on ST as several have mentioned they only can make short posts out of fear of loosing what they are writing.

if you have a browser that has autofill (for usernames/passwords), you can set it up for slippertalk. if you get logged out quickly when you are writing a post and can't find any other solution, copy the whole finished text when done typing. hit 'reply or send' button, if you are logged out and you end up at the login page, either let the browser automatically fill the username/password or go up to the menu and select autofill to get logged in and then go back to where you were and paste the text. tedious, yes, but if the only option is the easiest thing to do.

sometimes i'm on another business site and filling out questionnaires, and the script behind the 'next' button that 'sends' the input and goes to the next page doesn't work and if I go back to start the page again lose all of the text, which I can't remember by that time, so I open a text file and copy/paste the text filled boxes, and go back. since I have an older computer and don't have the newest browsers sometimes there are issues with pages like that

One of the error that used to shut the forum down was that our "session time out" limit was set to 1500 seconds. I lowered it to 900 and the issue still occurred so I then changed it to the recommended (never heard it was actually illegal to be higher, but it did cause issues for sure) 600 and haven't had that issue since.

Yesterday to test the issue I logged out, logged back in, but didn't check the "remember me" box and I was logged out when I left the site. Checking the box does seem to allow me to stay logged in despite leaving the site.

Hello,

Thank you all for your help!!!
So it has to do with the individual pc/internet options!!

Thanks a million and have a nice day everyone :) :) :)

The Glorious People's Democratic Republic categorically denies any involvement with corporate espionage involving internet hackiing and misuse of technology!!

Back