Forum Management Going Forward

Discussion in 'Talk back!' started by Heather, Mar 5, 2017.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 31, 2017 #121

Heather

Heather

Heather

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
    I am not making any further changes at this time.

This forum was started because of the lack of free speech on another forum. That forum is now defunct.

If you don't like it here feel free to go elsewhere.

This thread has been very telling for me regarding my stepping down. :(

2. May 31, 2017 #122

John M

John M

John M

Orchid Addict

Heather, based on the original mission of this forum, I originally supported accommodating the political comment section; but, I wouldn't have minded if you didn't make one and instead, you'd tried to get people to stop with the political commentary altogether. However, I was not expecting reactions like that from paphioland and cattmad. I can see that a lot of people who were once connected in friendship through their love of slipper orchids, are now becoming adversaries and that's a shame. Therefore, I did change my mind.

If you find all this getting very tiresome, please just remember that it's all nothing more than a big pile of fluff....like soap bubbles on water. If you just wait long enough, it will all be gone and forgotten anyway. Even those with very strong opinions who post constantly, will eventualy tire of repeating themselves and begin to lay low again. Even the most anal of Trolls will eventually run out of steam and lose interest. Participating here takes effort. People are willing to put in the effort on a continuous basis if they accomplish something....if there is a payoff they want or like. The political sub-forum is not accomplishing anything. Nobody is feeling satisfied or accomplished. Nothing is getting done....nothing will change because of it. People are just venting. Therefore, people will tire of it, things will die down and common sense and decency will return.

3. May 31, 2017 #123

Hamlet

Hamlet

Hamlet

Heather, I have not been here for that long, but I would like to thank you for all your work. No matter what you decide, it will be fine.

I still cannot wrap my head around what the problem actually is. All this whining about seeing a few thread titles in a list is simply ridiculous. So petty, childish and pedantic. It's not like you're being forced to click them and read the thread.

4. May 31, 2017 #124

Happypaphy7

Happypaphy7

Happypaphy7

Paphlover

Exactly.
    Let the whiners whine and leave if they choose to.
    No real big issues really.

5. May 31, 2017 #125

Lanmark

Lanmark

Lanmark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I posted this over in Political Views. I believe it is worth repeating here.

I think the best thing we can all do from this point forward is to try our best to be civil or even kind to one another and enjoy this website for what it is. We're not always going to agree on everything, but we can agree to disagree with a lot less nastiness. No one is perfect, so there might be slip-ups along the way. That doesn't have to stop us from picking up where we left off and moving forward with dignity and grace. I believe pretty much all of us are grateful to Heather for providing this venue which has grown into a wonderful resource which compliments and nurtures our favorite obsession/addiction/hobby.

6. Jun 1, 2017 #126

cnycharles

cnycharles

cnycharles

Peloric keiki

Nicely stated Mark

I have what seems like too easy of an answer, but it is very simple

When people and postings get out of hand, where do they get moved to?
    The Out Back forum

Just move the off topic political forum and all political content to the Out Back
    You can't see what is posted there unless you type in the password. It just shows as 0 posts. If you want political discussion, then you use the password and then you see it all.
    If you do not want to know of the existence of politics, don't use the password.
    Anyone interested in politics can see and post over there. If people get out of hand, well, they are already 'out back' so let them slug it out. Who would care... it's out back. This way anyone wanting forum devoid of political content will basically have it, and those who must have red and blue can have it too.

Easy peasey

7. Jun 7, 2017 #127

paphioland

paphioland

paphioland

Again I don't care what people post. And I don't think of people as adversaries. Actually I never read these inane threads. Look at the bottom you will never see my handle there. Personally I think it is silly to post on an orchid forum about totally off the wall topics but doesn't bother me one bit. What I don't like is how it is linked to the unread post section. So I can no longer use that function without wasting my time scrolling though non slipper posts. If there was a post there once every few days wouldn't be a big deal but once these threads get going there are constant posts and constant repopulating of the new thread post. So I have to scroll past off the wall stuff over and over and over and over. I could prove a point by posting crazy stuff repetitively. Things Im really interested in like bjj or mma or physics or Kate Upton or baseball or bikinis or models or cars or evolution or the future of humanity or chess or my existential angst....... but I don't have the time and Im not 12. Which brings me back to my first complaint wasting people's time. Just disconnect all non slipper subforums from unread posts. People can post whatever they like but then they will have to seek the subforums.

8. Jun 7, 2017 #128

Secundino

Secundino

Secundino

Adorable Stud

Let it sleep, please, will you?

9. Jun 7, 2017 #129

paphioland

paphioland

paphioland

Stop trying to silence my opinion and speech. ;)

10. Jun 9, 2017 #130

Heather

Heather

Heather

Still this.

11. Jul 5, 2017 #131

Tom Reddick

Tom Reddick

Tom Reddick

Good evening Heather,

Just now seeing this and wanted to just say- if I may- that I do not think level of traffic is a good indicator, and agree with your assessment.

My online forum activity is very limited these days- and I chose this forum specifically because of the well-regarded names I saw here, plus the level of on-topic posting that was taking place.

Personally I think politics has no place- but the reality is just about every forum I know has a corral for that- and it works well when in its own place. I never go in there- but it is clearly something most online forum participants want.

The absolute best forum I belong to- one for startup garment manufacturing individuals and companies- has a very low activity rate. It carries an annual fee, is completely private, has no avenues for posting on politics and is generally uncensored.

None of us go there to hang out- we go there when we have a need or something to share. I check in every couple of weeks at the most. And it is one of the most useful forums I have ever seen.

I think we have that here. Sometimes low traffic means that people are only posting when they have something worthwhile to say. If Paphiopedilums grew at the same rate at kudzu or sweet potato vines, maybe there would be a need for everyone to post 20 times a day. But since that is not the case.... :D

12. Jul 6, 2017 #132

Heather

Heather

Heather

Thanks Tom. That's pretty much where I'm at with it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.