Forum Management Going Forward

Discussion in 'Talk back!' started by Heather, Mar 5, 2017.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 30, 2017 #81

paphioland

paphioland

paphioland

Again I do "cope" with them but I have an opinion that differs from yours and I gave it. It is up to the owner. But more control for users could only increase the user's experience.

2. May 30, 2017 #82

ehanes7612

ehanes7612

ehanes7612

I am concerned that you will suffer greatly from this.. it's not worth it .. there is more to life than the worrying about being exposed to the ramblings of a few people .. and slippertalk will be just fine..society will be fine... and the orchids will keep growing and people will keep posting their orchid pictures because they like to share

3. May 30, 2017 #83

ehanes7612

ehanes7612

ehanes7612

you can just ignore the unread posts link .. and just go straight to each forum that you are interested in.. I don't even pay attention to the unread link because it doesn't even work for me half the time... be proactive , don't be a lazy linker

4. May 30, 2017 #84

Happypaphy7

Happypaphy7

Happypaphy7

Paphlover

That's what I do. Just pick the area of interest and catch up instead of going to the unread section and "suffer" from having to see all.
    Problem solved.
    Plus, even if you do go to the unread section, it doesn't take much time at all to sift through things. A few seconds at most, I think?

I'm still against having the political section and having political talk here mainly because of what ugly things have happened ( and will continue to happen) there.
    I can live with it since I don't have to visit and read those, but I would be happier without it.
    I agree with some of the points raised by Ken.
    This is a private forum with specific purpose and goal. Political talk, with its baggage, is not really needed here.

5. May 30, 2017 #85

ehanes7612

ehanes7612

ehanes7612

I would be fine without it too.. but as long as it's there I will partake. Politics is everywhere and in everything .. politics of religion , politics of business , politics of shopping , politics of orchids .. you can't escape it if you want to commune with people..it's the very essence of being human

6. May 30, 2017 #86

Secundino

Secundino

Secundino

Adorable Stud

"Instead I see the same stupid posts populate over and over. These political posts seem to get posted in constantly."

I've read it once and twice and again.
    Where please are those post populating over and over? Constantly? Considering the amount of new posts every day (though Heather wrote it is not a busy forum), the few posts with political content are very few, and they are all where they are supposed to be. At least when I open ST.
    I don't get it. It feels as if we are looking at different forums depending on the terminal we use? Does the 'unread posts' look differently from pc to pc?

BTW, I would like to see gummy bears over here. But I don't understand those profound fears - do you really fear that a little bit of diversity is so menacing?
    Even a economics-newspaper has a little cartoon somewhere...

7. May 30, 2017 #87

Hamlet

Hamlet

Hamlet

paphioland must be using a different forum software than me. I just logged on after one day and clicked on the "unread posts" list. First page shows 25 results, 21 threads about slipper orchids and four off topic. Yet, reading his posts you'd think you have to search for orchid related topics with a microscope. The hyperbole and pettiness is off the charts.

8. May 30, 2017 #88

paphioland

paphioland

paphioland

Have people really lost their minds? Listen none of my profound fears come from slippertalk. You are saying I fear diversity because I don't want to sift through the same crap day after day. Or multiple times a day. There are forums somewhere for all these topics I can assure you. I could care less what people do or think or say as long as they are not hurting anyone. Just prefer not on my time. If these topics keep expanding I would eventually stop coming here. Any topic besides slipper orchids. I don't care if there are boxing posts in here. The format is not the most efficient for people looking to read about slipper orchids. When I open the forum there is a list of unread posts. That's how I use the forum. So every time a new post is posted it moves back in the list. So some totally non orchid topics keep springing back on the list for months. I don't even read it so I have no idea what's in it. Just off the wall headlines for a slipper forum. Almost looks like spam. That's my opinion change the forum so non slipper topics don't populate the nonread post list or give that option. That is what is best for the forum. So people who want to post random things can. People who don't care about random things don't have to scroll by the listed thread for three months.

9. May 30, 2017 #89

paphioland

paphioland

paphioland

Those topics are there for months. And I bet they are some of the most posted in by a small number of people. I don't care what people do but give me a way to block a thread so it doesn't populate my unread posts for two months. It's really wacky why you wouldn't want to give users control of what they want to get from this site. Facebook does it.

10. May 30, 2017 #90

Secundino

Secundino

Secundino

Adorable Stud

I give up. Don't understand it - you and me see totally different things. How can?

11. May 30, 2017 #91

PaphMadMan

PaphMadMan

PaphMadMan

phytomanic

I understand what paphioland is describing. If you use the New Posts link then every time there is a new post in a thread you see that thread listed. Just the thread title, and the particular Forum it is in is clearly indicated. You can't avoid seeing the thread title, but you can certainly avoid reading more than that.

There may be ways to avoid this. If the political forum was excluded from the New Threads link search maybe, then someone would specifically have to click on the forum to see it. Or if that forum was password protected like Out Back then it would only show up if the password had been entered, wouldn't it?. I don't know how easy either of those would be to set up.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  12. May 30, 2017 #92

paphioland

paphioland

paphioland

Just unlink all non slipper content from new posts and Id be happy. Truthfully I don't care that much either way. It is just time that over years builds up. I guess I could search out each area I'm interested in but seems slightly unreasonable since this wastes time and it is supposed to be a slipper forum.

13. May 31, 2017 #93

cattmad

cattmad

cattmad

Sorry but I agree with Ken on this, we should be able to ignore sub-topics

I'm on here less and less because of the off-topic discussions. More than 50% of the posts on here these days are off-topic and these discussions bring out the worst in people

14. May 31, 2017 #94

ehanes7612

ehanes7612

ehanes7612

I count four off topics and hundreds of orchid related topics in my unread threads link

15. May 31, 2017 #95

cattmad

cattmad

cattmad

go and count the number of posts in each and add them together

16. May 31, 2017 #96

SlipperFan

SlipperFan

SlipperFan

Addicted

I avoid the "__ unread posts since your last visit" and go straight to the main topics. Scrolling down, one sees the Political Views section. Just skip that. All the other topics that have new posts are in bold.

I just don't see the problem here.

17. May 31, 2017 #97

John M

John M

John M

Orchid Addict

Hmmm.....I'm beginning to come around to the "no political posts" side. I did advocate for a political sub-forum; but, not because I wanted one. I just thought it might be difficult, or impossible to prevent political posts; so, providing an area for politics might solve the problem of those opinions popping up elsewhere. However, it seems that a lot of people use the "New Posts" feature and they're being put off ST because even if they don't click on the links, they're constantly being reminded of the political discussions/debates/arguments going on here.

So, I wonder if maybe having a poly pit was a mistake? I wonder if we should all agree that the political sub-forum and all it's content should be deleted and from that point on, no political commentary should be allowed. It is true that politics is a hot button issue and there's no doubt in my mind that friendships have been and will be ruined because of political disagreements that take place here on ST.

So, sorry Heather. I'm going to do an about face and change my mind. I now think Lance was right (OMG, did I just say that!?), it's best for ST and for all us Slipper/Orchid enthusiasts, to be required to respect a new forum rule and not post about politics.

It is a shame that it's needed; but, honestly, I now spend more time reading the political posts than I do the orchid posts. That's not right. I realized that I'd like things to go back to the way they were; mostly about slippers and other orchids and not about anything divisive, like politics. I realized that the political posts are like watching a train wreck. I don't want to see a train wreck, not in real life; but, if one happened right in front of me, I'd not be able to look away. If the political posts weren't here, I'd happily read through ST and enjoy my visit. I wouldn't miss the political posts. However, like ice cream in the freezer, if it's there, I'm going to consume it and then afterwards, I'm always sorry.

I truly don't think that ANYTHING is being accomplished by the political posts. Nobody is changing anyone's mind. The two sides are firmly established and no amount of argument will convert one side to the other's point of view. So, really, what's the point? We'll all just lose friends.

18. May 31, 2017 #98

paphioland

paphioland

paphioland

I don't see what the problem is removing all non slipper related out of the unread posts section so I don't have to see the threads 5 times a day. I use the new post function it is convenient. Let the people who are posting about things that have nothing to do with slipper orchids go search for the off topic sections.

If there is genuine interest in me starting a new slipper forum where any non slipper related posts are in a totally separate section that doesn't post to the new thread posts please let me know and I will consider hiring someone to do this.

19. May 31, 2017 #99

Happypaphy7

Happypaphy7

Happypaphy7

Paphlover

Agree. That's exactly what I do as well.

20. May 31, 2017 #100

Happypaphy7

Happypaphy7

Happypaphy7

Paphlover

Agree with this point.
    I have always been against having political section or political talks here after seeing what happens.
    It is not necessary. This is a plant hobby website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.