Forum Management Going Forward

Discussion in 'Talk back!' started by Heather, Mar 5, 2017.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 5, 2017 #1

Heather

Heather

Heather

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
    So, I am officially looking for someone here (first) who would be interested in taking over management/ownership of the forum.

We are paid up through next August so we don't HAVE to have an auction as we have had in the past to keep us going past May. I would be willing to run one again this year to get us paid up farther but I would like to find someone to handle the daily management and eventually take over full ownership of the forum.

While I would hope that whomever manages the forum going forward would keep with the original tenets and spirit that it began with, the Internet has changed greatly since we started in 2006. We have seen other forums decline due to excessive advertising, too many new bells and whistles, etc. However, in passing the forum onto a new owner, it is expected that they would probably make some changes.

I am not imminently going anywhere, nor is this notice of the forum closing. I will, of course, continue in my admin. responsibilities until a solution is found, but I have reached the point where I would like to pass the daily administration and responsibility and ownership on to someone more invested in continuing the forum. With the annual auction time looming, I think I need to put this out there now so we can all start thinking about it and have a plan in place.

Feel free to discuss, brainstorm, etc. Remember, this is really YOUR forum.

If someone is interested, please let me know.

2. Mar 6, 2017 #2

NYEric

NYEric

NYEric

3. Mar 6, 2017 #3

abax

abax

abax

Heather, let me think about it. I know absolutely nothing
    about running a forum and am not a tech whiz on my computer. However, I'm retired and do have time...more
    or less.

4. Mar 6, 2017 #4

cnycharles

cnycharles

cnycharles

Peloric keiki

I might be able to help in a different way. Our orchid club has website, unlimited storage space. We can have two web domains, just using one. Also it allows for three forums. I can talk to the club, they may be willing to share web area for splitting of annual fee. We have the large storage so we can keep all the previous pdf newsletters for others to use.

5. Mar 6, 2017 #5

Chicago Chad

Chicago Chad

Chicago Chad

Not sure what I can do to help but please feel free to ask

6. Mar 6, 2017 #6

troy

troy

troy

"Slipperking" rick, I nominate you

7. Mar 7, 2017 #7

Marco

Marco

Marco

Slipperless member

:( This makes me sad.

8. Mar 7, 2017 #8

Heather

Heather

Heather

No reason to be sad, the forum will continue one way or another surely. I just don't really want to be in charge any more. I've done it for eleven years and it was sort of dropped in my lap originally. Hopefully we can work together to figure something out that will work for everyone.

In the meantime, as I said, I'm not going anywhere imminently, but It is time to explore other options.

9. Mar 8, 2017 #9

SlipperFan

SlipperFan

SlipperFan

Addicted

I missed this thread yesterday.

11 years is a long time to oversee a forum like this. I hope we can somehow keep it going, and keep it open as it is now.

10. Mar 8, 2017 #10

silence882

silence882

silence882

Lurker ST Supporter

Could you give a rough estimate of how much time a week it takes to manage the site (not the auction)? And how technical you'd have to be (e.g. Is it mostly just settings or do you need to know coding)?

11. Mar 8, 2017 #11

Marco

Marco

Marco

Slipperless member

Thats actually a very good question. i wouldn't mind pitching in either but i can't commit to much time during a given week.

12. Mar 8, 2017 #12

mrhappyrotter

mrhappyrotter

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra

It's probably better if we have a few people running the show anyway. I would think we can have a few people taking on roles as moderators, administrators, and technical support. That way, it reduces the time commitment required by any one person, and you can have multiple people weighing in on decisions like adding new features, changing policies, enforcing rules, etc.

Additionally, for things like the auctions, we can have a volunteer (or volunteers) help setup and coordinate that, just needs to be someone trustworthy and who can commit to the time required.

I certainly think I could help with some technical aspects of running the site and forum software, though I can't guarantee significant time commitment.

13. Mar 9, 2017 #13

PaphMadMan

PaphMadMan

PaphMadMan

phytomanic

NYEric has the largest total number of posts by far. He clearly has time and interest to devote to Slippertalk. I nominate him...

:evil:

14. Mar 9, 2017 #14

PaphMadMan

PaphMadMan

PaphMadMan

phytomanic

But seriously, multiple moderators, administrators and techies does make the most sense. Divide the work, and every necessary role with a back-up. Devise a rotation or hierarchy for coverage. I could take on some part of a team effort.

And praise and adulation to Heather for all her work for over a decade. That's dedication. :clap:

15. Mar 9, 2017 #15

troy

troy

troy

Ny eric is a very busy man, this task, taking over needs to be by somebody who is retired, and has time, can you imagine what it takes to keep spammers, hackers and bickering sters at bay..... I would vote rick 'slipperking' I've been in archives and he has been a member that I found 9 years, and I think he is retired, if he would be up to it??

16. Mar 9, 2017 #16

Heather

Heather

Heather

So, right now it only takes me a few minute each day to go through the new registrations (most of which are spam.) Dot helps with this. Candace also is still a moderator but is pretty busy and isn't around much. The auction definitely takes much more time but it's only 4 weeks out of the year.

We have had many moderators/helpers over the years but eventually people have gotten weary of it and drifted off. It's manageable on a day to day basis with just a couple of us. I would be a little concerned that we'd fall into the same issues as before with the majority of helpers eventually dropping out and leaving one person stuck with the responsibility. So, IMO there needs to be someone willing to take on the ownership and responsibility overall.

When the forum started, it was kind of sprung on me - John designed it using v-bulletin. I know very little about the software -just enough to muddle through. It is quite outdated. It doesn't really require coding but some knowledge, more than I have, would be good. One of the big issues we have is updating and not losing everything - something I'm not confident enough in my knowledge to attempt. This is probably the reason that the unread post error now affects so many of us (and why it is not fixed.) So, whomever takes on the forum, I would hope, would have the knowledge and interest to take that on.

I think it would also be wise to refrain from members nominating other members. That's kind of how I got into this mess! ;) At the time, it worked into my life, and I've enjoyed it. We need to be careful to make sure that the people who are thinking about working on this are REALLY interested in the long-term efforts.

17. Mar 9, 2017 #17

NYEric

NYEric

NYEric

I post often, but not lengthy messages.

18. Mar 10, 2017 #18

SlipperKing

SlipperKing

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist

What the... Man, you got to love the guy!
    Troy, I'm not retired yet
    Here I am ready for work:D
    [​IMG]

19. Mar 10, 2017 #19

SlipperKing

SlipperKing

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist

OK,ok enough funny stuff. I'm willing to help out however I can but I know NOTHING about running a forum, blocking hackers etc, etc. I'm doing good to peck out with two fingers my posts but if I can help in some small way, I'm here.

20. Mar 11, 2017 #20

Ozpaph

Ozpaph

Ozpaph

I'd donate money, but havent the time.
    I love this place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.