For you car mechanics...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cdub

It's the time's when my car need maintenance when I wish I was a car mechanic. I am not very mechanically inclined when it comes to cars and I always feel like I'm getting shafted, especially because I think I put out that vibe of not knowing how much a new set of tires or steering column should cost.

I have had a small oil leak and today finally got around to getting the problem diagnosed, not because I was losing a significant amount of oil, but because over time I was concerned about the large oil spot in my driveway. Anyone have any idea how much an oil pan replacement would cost, or how much labor would be involved? I own a 1995 Ford Taurus. I won't reveal what I was quoted by my Ford service center, but I feel I might be getting hosed on this one.

DO NOT go to a ford dealer for repairs. Ask around and find a good mechanic to do it for you. It should just be a gasket that needs replacing. Dealers always charge too much.

I agree completely. Dealers always over-charge. A new Oil Pan should not cost more than $100 for the part, plus about $25 for the gasket. The dealer will charge you an arm and a leg for labor... an independent mechanic will usually charge much less.

- Matt Gore

Depending on the setup, removing an oil pan can require removing the transmission, disengaging the motor mounts, and jacking up the engine. The labor amount required for this can seem exorbitant, but it's a lot of work.

I would agree that this is something any shop can handle and there's no need to go to a dealer. You can expect labor rates and parts charges to be 25-50% higher at a dealer vs. an independent shop.

If the oil leak isn't significant, I probably wouldn't bother getting it fixed.

--Stephen

A toyota corolla takes 6 hours to remove and install a new oil gasket at the bottom of the car.

Paphman910

silence882 said:
If the oil leak isn't significant, I probably wouldn't bother getting it fixed.

You are right and after finding out how much I was getting charged for the repair, believe me I considered just letting it drip. However, I listened to the little environmentalist voice in my head saying "But, it'll accumulate and make its way into the stormwater system and eventually to our lovely natural waterways." I guess I'll spend a little money and do my part not to pollute, much.

Well at first you guys were making me feel as if I am definitely getting shafted, but at least now I know it may be because I am a sucker and go to my local dealer for service, and not because the parts and labor were totally bogus. Unfortunately I'm new to my area and don't really know many of the shops around here. Although you'd think with the amount of work I've put into my car in the last 12 months, I would have had an opportunity to try out all the shops. Thanks everyone for the advice.

-Drips-no-more in VA

Back