Focusing on slippers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elf

Reaction score
Hi, thought I should introduce myself now that I've started posting. I live in the Pacific Northwest USA and have a good-sized orchid collection, but I'm really narrowing in on slippers. This portion of my collection is still fairly small, around 25 species and hybrids - mostly Paphs, but I'm also trying out Phrags. I'm excited to be blooming my first species Paphs this fall, feeling accomplished about that! I also have a few hardy orchids, including Cypripedium japonicum, which I think I might have killed despite extensive research and care, but we'll see what happens this spring. I am excited to dive in and learn more!

Thank you both! I hope I can bloom Phrags, we'll see how it goes in the window. I will add supplemental lighting or do pretty much anything for my Phrag Grande because I am absolutely determined to see those magnificent flowers!

Welcome! This forum is incredible. You can always get answers. I’m addicted to reading every post every day. Wonder if you could tell more about your windows? What exposures? Photos? I have Phrags in windows too.

Last edited:
Welcome! This forum is incredible. You can always get answers. I’m addicted to reading every post every day. Wonder if you could tell more about your windows? What exposures? Photos? I have Phrags in windows too.

Hi, and thank you all! BrucherT, I'm in the northern hemisphere and am growing in a filtered south window (sunniest window) with a filter paper on the glass. Now that it's winter here, I've moved Phrag to the upper part of the window shelves where there is no filter since that the light is currently so weak and soft. The grower I purchased from assured me that I could bloom Phrags in a south filtered window in my climate, so we'll see! However, I am in the Pacific Northwest USA, where we have a lot of cloud cover/marine layer and my property is forested (lots of shade) so I have my doubts, but we'll see what happens and make adjustments if necessary. I'd love to hear about how you grow Phrags in your windows!

Hello from the PNW! I live in semi-old growth woods so window placement for any of my orchids is pretty much useless. Heh! Luckily, our house came with skylights and I've been able to successfully bloom paphs + dendros. I have yet to bloom a phrag though. Keep us posted on your PNW slipper adventure! I could use all the tips I can get.

Hi Merc! Sounds like we have a lot in common, my house is also surrounded by woods! Luckily it's more open on the east and south side to let a little light in :) I've bloomed Phals, Paphs, Coelogyne, Maxillaria, Oncidium and Bulbos in these windows. But I'm working on an insulated greenhouse to see if I can get some higher light levels going....

Hi, and thank you all! BrucherT, I'm in the northern hemisphere and am growing in a filtered south window (sunniest window) with a filter paper on the glass. Now that it's winter here, I've moved Phrag to the upper part of the window shelves where there is no filter since that the light is currently so weak and soft. The grower I purchased from assured me that I could bloom Phrags in a south filtered window in my climate, so we'll see! However, I am in the Pacific Northwest USA, where we have a lot of cloud cover/marine layer and my property is forested (lots of shade) so I have my doubts, but we'll see what happens and make adjustments if necessary. I'd love to hear about how you grow Phrags in your windows!

sounds good to me but for the incessant cloud cover...I also grow in a south window, in Chicago. The double panes have failed and so there’s a natural frosting on the inside. Seems yo be the right amount of light for pretty much everything...I’m blooming Cymbidium and Vanda and Cattleya in the same windows.

I'm in the northern hemisphere and am growing in a filtered south window (sunniest window) with a filter paper on the glass

At my workplace, I'm growing Paphs in a very sunlit southwindow, too...from about March to September, I put up a piece of canvas fabric (actually a piece of an old bedsheet) as protection for the sun - and that works real well.

But at home I have some plants (Sophronitis) in a window facing East-Southeast - I think they could do with a bit of protection, too, when the sun is at its strongest in the summer. I haven't thought of filterpaper - and it seems to me to be a better idea at home. Would you care to volunteer a bit more information as to your experience with filterpaper, what brand, you use, etc.etc.?

Kind regards,
Jens

Thanks, everyone! BrucherT, that is excellent use of a failed window seal, I love it :) Guldal, I have experimented with a few things, but settled on Contact brand clear paper (the stuff that is peel and stick). It looks like a frosted window, and softens the light from a distinct shadow to a very soft fuzzy shadow (I've measured footcandles but can't recall the numbers, and it's too cloudy today to check). I also have a sheer curtain on all growing windows so on very bright/hot days, I can add a double layer of filter. I've also tried wax paper (too transparent), parchment paper (too opaque), and commercial window decal coverings (generally too opaque).

At my workplace, I'm growing Paphs in a very sunlit southwindow, too...from about March to September, I put up a piece of canvas fabric (actually a piece of an old bedsheet) as protection for the sun - and that works real well.

But at home I have some plants (Sophronitis) in a window facing East-Southeast - I think they could do with a bit of protection, too, when the sun is at its strongest in the summer. I haven't thought of filterpaper - and it seems to me to be a better idea at home. Would you care to volunteer a bit more information as to your experience with filterpaper, what brand, you use, etc.etc.?

Kind regards,
Jens

The Paphs that I grow on a south facing windowsill get a piece of paper (Transparentpapier) as a diffusor. It is from a roll of 'Skizzenpapier' 50g/m2 that is used by architects or designers to fix first ideas. This works very well.

Thank you both for your good advice - I think, I might opt for Chris' Skizzenpapier'-solution, as that would allow me to remove the paper, when called for!

You know what they say about the climate here: "In Denmark we have two winters: A white one and a green one! Well, at least this was before the global warming (No, Bertold, this is NOT an invitation to highjack this thread, also! :cool:)

A Happy and Floriferous New Year to you and to all in STC!

PS. Chris, if you have created more of your beautifull early rennaisance hybrids, I would love an update!

Kind regards, Jens

Whatever works best for you with your plants/window, but all options are removable! A trick with the sticky-backed paper is to apply it with water, makes it easily to slide into place.

Back