Flowers shrivelling and not opening

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sastry

Reaction score
Hi
I have this problem for some time now, some of the hybrids are producing buds and when it comes to opening it is not doing well, either they start shriveling especially the pouch and then the flower refuses to open. If it opens then the pouch looks like dehydrated? posting some pictures of the flowers, please throw some light on the problem. Growing conditions are moderate here in Southern part of India and i grow then in green house and the temperatures now are 28-30C and winter is not severe with night temperatures around 14-15C. In the first two pictures the flower did not open and is already shrivelling and unlikely to open. Plant is in good condition. In the second flower though it opened, the pouch already looks dehydrated and not likely to last long and then there are dry black marks onn the edges of the pouch
Thank you
sastry

Attachments

• Paph - problem1-1.jpg
    Paph - problem1-1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Paph - problem2-1.jpg
    Paph - problem2-1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 37
  • Paph - problem3-1.jpg
    Paph - problem3-1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 38
Humidity low, water insufficient, roots unhealthy, water quality bad, over-fertilization - any or all of the above - possibly amplified by light too bright, temperatures too high or excessive air circulation.

I was thinking thrips too Wendy plus low humidity/underwatering. Sastry, have you examined the
roots and checked the leaves carefully? Thrips usually
infest the blooms and are very, very tiny. Mostly you find them with a magnifying glass and see them move.

Hi
Thank you for all the possible causes, will check one by one and ensure the optimum and will check for thrips also
sastry

Hi
Thank you for all the possible causes, will check one by one and ensure the optimum and will check for thrips also
sastry

Take photos of the whole plant. Easier for the experts/ experience growers here to identify the problem.

Latest posts

Back