Flower size for Paph. armeniacum? (with photos now)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom-DE

Reaction score
My P. armeniacum is in bloom now and the flower NS is 4.5"+,

What is the average flower size for this species now? Certainly, this one is far bigger than those I had bloomed in the past...

Last edited:
11-12cm is rare, but not unheard of. That said, if you're gonna brag about size you better be able to back it up with pics :p.

Tony, I am not a person who likes to "brag" about anything on the internet...but you are right, I will be sure to post a photo showing actual measurement(with a big ruler;) if you prefer)....but give me some time to do that, I just got back from the Canary Islands last night.
The plant came from Rob(Littlefrog Farm) three years ago, no parentage info on the tag. I just measured it again, NS is 12+cm.

Very nice large one.

How did you encourage the blooming trigger?
compared to other paphs that I have, I always give Parvi a slightly drier and cooler winter. this one routinely got down to mid-30s (F) by my garage windows along with my few Neofinetia falcata...perhaps patience is what we need for those.
This one set bud in the early fall last year while it was still outside in the yard...

That is a big flower , I think it is at 13 cm compares to the ruler ( not 12 cm that you mentioned)
I always wonder in the case of many orchid species , the flowers are not 100% flat , some even with strange shape, how do the judges measure the flowers?
Do they flatten the petals to get the true length of each petals?

That is a big flower , I think it is at 13 cm compares to the ruler ( not 12 cm that you mentioned)
I always wonder in the case of many orchid species , the flowers are not 100% flat , some even with strange shape, how do the judges measure the flowers?
Do they flatten the petals to get the true length of each petals?
Natural spread is not flatten but measured as best across from tip to tip. Only the flower parts like petals are flattened when measured.

not quite 13cm but for sure is more than 12cm NS(natural spread--flower petal tip to tip).
Perhaps the flower might be in better shape if it got proper watering for the last 14 days while the flower was developing(out of town/no one home)...I am quite happy about the pouch size and shape though--proportionally nice to the flower size.
Yes, it has hair on petals and spots inside the pouch.

Oh well...that means I have to be patient. I am very happy that my 2 armeniacum are budding.
If they are in bud now, they might develop faster....In this part of the world(NE, U.S), they normally start budding in late summer/early fall. The flower buds won't do anything in the colder months here.

Back