Florida Cold Spell

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Unusual for south Florida to get 4 days of low 30’s that require those of us who keep our collections in Pergolas on the lanai or open greenhouses to have to encase in plastic and use heaters. At least the cool growing orchids love it.
Not complaining since no longer need a snow blower to get out of the driveway like in NYS.
1671887399624.jpeg

1671887435729.jpeg

Unusual for south Florida to get 4 days of low 30’s that require those of us who keep our collections in Pergolas on the lanai or open greenhouses to have to encase in plastic and use heaters. At least the cool growing orchids love it......
Uiii, I looked up...... low 30's F are between -1,0° and +2°C ... that's pretty cold for Florida.

Be sorta thankful Mike. The temps. in KY have been 0F-4F for several days. Very unusual for SEKY. My greenhouse
heaters are struggling to maintain 60F. Phrags. don't mind, but mounted Phals. ain't happy.

In the world of statistics, there are two absolute tenets: (1) every system has natural variation, and (2) trying to compensate for it - called “tampering” - tends to make it worse.

I don’t know if that’s what’s happening with the weather, but the swings ARE getting more extreme. So now the guess is whether the tampering is due to mankind’s direct impact on the atmosphere, or the actions we’re taking to try to compensate for it.

Back