Floppy Leaves on Hung Sheng Eagle

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StreetVariety

Reaction score
I have a Hung Sheng Eagle paph and the older leaves are floppy and won't point upright to the light source. What is this sign of? Or is this a normal growth behavior for this hybrid?

I'm not an expert but I have plants that have older leaves that flop. Especially the ones with narrower long leaves like Paph. gratrixianum. I have no idea what Hung Sheng Eagle is or looks like, but it may be just age.
Don

AkrKnFS.jpg

Sweet baby Jesus how did you post a pic that big on this forum!?!?!?!?

Perhaps a bit more light? Overall strap leaf varieties are prone to such 'flopping.'

It looks like regular senescence, although gigantifolium is a rock dweller, might not like the sphagnum moss, in moss overtime will kill it

I recently upgraded the lighting, hopefully it'll stand upright! It's just a topping of moss to keep the bark underneath evenly moist.

Thanks for answering! :)

Not enough Calcium ? Which fertilisers are you using ?

Envoyé de mon Nexus 9 en utilisant Tapatalk

I'm fertilizing 1/4 strength K-lite every watering. Is that too much? How often should I water and fertilize for this plant?

I checked the roots and about 1/3 of them were dead so I went ahead and removed them and repotted it in 50/50 perlite and bark mix. There were few new root though, so I'm optimistic that this plant can recover.

So how much should I feed it?

More.
;)
Looking at your moss on the surface there is no sign of algae or any other life form that would grow in a fertile environment. But maybe the moss is freshly added. So I'm only guessing.
I would use the K-lite at full strength and you safely can.
Full strength is not too much.
After a plant is well established and growing with a strong efficient root system you can get by using less fertilizer. When the plant has a less than complete root system it needs a richer source of nutrients to maintain the stem and foliage.
I would also wet the foliage with the nutrient solution when you water.

Back