Flask progress

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Carper

Reaction score
Hi All,

A few months ago I decided it was time to trial a few flasks for the first time. Over a 2 month period I purchased the following from various good sources and to date have not lost a single seedling which I am really pleased about. They include;
- Paph Lebeau "Chao Chou BM/TPS x Paph adductum "Yu Nan"
- Paph sanderianum "Jia Ho" x sib "Nae Shan"
- Paph fairreanum x sib "Nae Shan"
- Paph Death Star x Paph anitum "Hsiao"
- Paph Krulls "Mona Lisa" (philippinense var laevigatum x Michael Koopowitz)
- Paph Wossner Spiderman (kolopakingii var topperi x M. Koopowitz)
- Paph kolopakingii var topperi x self

I know I am probably still in a delicate period especially as we are entering our winter period soon in the UK. I will have to be careful on the feed/watering but intend to supplement lighting and they are on a heat mat from now on which should hopefully encourage root growth. Root & foliage growth is encouraging especially on the sanderianum as both parents produce petal lengths over 90 cm! I wonder how long it will take to get to FS??

sanderianum seedlings looking healthy and quite fast growing.

Gary
UK

Justin

Reaction score
everything is looking great so far. i would say you should have some awesome flowers in 8 years.

Carper

Reaction score
Excellent choice flasks!!! I'd remove that rotting leaf in pic # 4

Troy,

The leaf in pic 4 is just marked. It belongs to a Kolosand that I purchased a couple of years ago and its took a LONG time to get it going. I nearly lost it as it had virtually no roots. I foliar sprayed it every day for about 6 months and stopped the foliage rotting away with various treatments. The leaf is fairly healthy now apart from the marks but it is the largest growth with only 4 leaves and may bloom yet. The plant has now 2 further healthy new growths about half size so possibly it's the best "save" I've done.

Gary
UK

Carper

Reaction score
everything is looking great so far. i would say you should have some awesome flowers in 8 years.

I bought some Michael Koopowitz seedlings just over 3 years ago of a similar size, kept 5 and they are now FS and could spike at any time. Most of these seedlings seem to growing fairly fast and hopefully can get the hybrids FS in a similar time and the species a little longer, possibly 5 yrs at the most. I love a challenge!!

Gary
UK

Carper

Reaction score
3 years on and the fairreanum is the first to produce out of the original batch. Turned out better than I thought. Views on the quality of the flower from anyone would be good.

Gary
UK

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Reaction score
Holy cow, what a lot of very healthy young plants, furthermore good luck for the future. BTW beside the fairrieanum you will need a lot of space to grow them all to flowerin size and maybe keep them in your collection.