Flask of Wenshanense aureum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
I bought two in-low-bud plants in Jan 2015 from Ten Shin at a show, but then they both aborted, which I expected. It was bareroot, and last day of the show. Both plants were replaced completely by new growths, which I thought was going to see flowers by now.
Well, one is still growing, with beautiful leaves, and the other one just got black rot and I tossed it. Pythium I guess. It just happened in one day. I hate it.

Anyways, Just in time, I got a plant list from Springwater and he had a flask of this same paph, and I took the plunge! :D

I have usually been lucky to have slightly overgrown flasks in the past, but these are rather small, yet I managed to keep most of them (over 40!).
I tossed teeny weeny few.
Except for the largest seven seedligns, I'm not so sure about their future. They are so small, and I've never separated them out individually like this.

Time will tell.

wenshanense_zpsxnnyzz6w.jpeg

I have them in the bedroom where it is warm. Maybe too warm, I don't know.
I have one compot under T8 with extra shade, just to see how they do there. :)

Wish me luck!

Those albums/aureum are very finicky. I find them very prone to all sorts of rots. Don't overfertilize them and good luck!
:)

Thanks.

Well, as long as some of them make it to a flowering stage, I will be happy. or just live on for a long time because I love the leaves more than flowers unless the flower turn out really really good. Most seem quite ugly with hound ear shape. haha

Let's first see how many survives.
My experience with growing seedlings out of flask has been very positive so far, but these look extra delicate.

Time will tell.

I wish you luck with them hp but to me it is irresponsible to sell such small plants. They should be 3 times the size or should have been replated again.
In my experience plants this small are very difficult to establish.

An Update

So, it has been about 10 months since these little ones left the comfort of flask.
I have since lost two to damping off.
It looks like I will lose a few more that look rather weak and dull. No problem as there are still over 40 of them! :)

The picture below is one of the three compost with smaller seedlings, but now these are the largest!

The largest ones at first in the green pot have not grown much at all. Strange...

I'm going to keep them all for another year before separating them out.

I believe this is about the size that should have been in the flask. These were way too small as Mike pointed out.

Culture:

Under T8 light (two 4' tubes with a distance of about 17inchese from the plants), light misting at least every other day, full watering about every 5 days.
Bottom half the pot is clay ball and the top half is a mixture of small orchiata with or without perlite and other stuff.

aycOcBel.jpg

Hey now!? I'm interested and would even consider in the trade...
I have a flask as well. Mine are about the same size. Happy... do you mind if I post some pics of mine to compare? (didn't want to heist you thread). We bought them at the same time from Thanh. I think they are chunky little guys with good potential but they definitely needed another replating IMO

Here is my flask for comparisons. I think they are growing at about the same rate. I have been using a few new nutrient options that are hydroponic/cannabis related. About half organic and half chemical based.

6riAjZ.jpg

y8BUNB.jpg

iTzeV5.jpg

NVAsTb.jpg

Latest posts

Back