Fish tank >>>>> Orchid growing area!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

biothanasis

Hello,

I have emptied my fish tank (although there is still lots of water in it!!) of all fish and tank equipment at the moment and I would like to get some ideas of how to set it up for my orchids! Do you have any idea, share a picture or a link on what materials to use, decoration etc???
My tank is 100(93)cm length x 40cm height x 30(29)cm width..

Any help would be appreciated!!! TY

Here is my recent setup for growing seedling Paphs in a 6 foot fishtank.

I put about 7 inches of water into the fish tank. This provides high humidity, generally above 70%, but occasionally down to 60%. To provide extra warmth I have a fish tanker heater which heats the water to 28oC. The temperature in the tank tends to vary between 24oC and 28oC, so very stable. The water heater also helps increase the humidity. I use three fluorescent tubes which are on for 15 hours a day. To provide air movement I have a small desk fan at one end of the tank.

The air feels very warm and humid so it seems ideal. The high humidity means the potting mix takes a while to dry out. Generally don't need to water for a week or more. It means it is best to use a mix a bit larger than you normally would.

The multi-floral seedlings in particular seem to like this setup.

David

tank.jpg

plants.jpg

Thank you so much for the info and photos David!

Jim I think I cannnot grow these whatever the set up:(

I use fish tanks, but in a different manner. :p I just lie them down on their sides, and place them below my orchid racks below the hanging plants. That way, the paphs and other stuff in the aquarium do not get dripped upon by those above them..

Neat! :clap:
My summer project for my masies & drac, I'm waiting for a heatwave, need an excuse to stay in!

I use fish tanks, but in a different manner. :p I just lie them down on their sides, and place them below my orchid racks below the hanging plants. That way, the paphs and other stuff in the aquarium do not get dripped upon by those above them..

great idea... I wish I had heard that before this winter, since i've tossed out a few plants because of problem stated, in my new hanging cart

I have a 20 gal tank set up for my Ghost seedlings. I use Diatomite in the bottom with about 1/2"-1"of water & a water fountain for a little extra humidity & very little air movement. It stays about 80 degrees + now with summer finally here. In the winter I will hook up a reptile heater (under tank) for constant temperature.

Ghostsetup001.jpg

Tom, your set up seems to work pretty easily and with effects!!! I am thinking of putting leca at the bottom with the water at the depth you mentioned! I think humidity will stay up no matter what!

Damas, you did a great job there!!!WOW! It looks so natural! I do not speak French so could you tell me what is the material you used in the background?? TY

Thank you Ray! I don't think I can find some here...:( It give such a great background!!!

Thank you Damas!!! A friend of mine has shoped from this site for his aquarium! I'll have to search a bit more for something cheaper at the moment!...:) Thanks again!!!!

Latest posts

Back