fischeri 4N

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for your nice comments. :)

I can be very patient with my plant, you know... :p

Yes I know. You're way more patient than I'll ever be. I was just teasing you :p

Should all of us attempting fischeri flowers pout at Silvan
until he tells us how to grow and bloom such a beauty???

I have two fischeri. a 2N and a 4N and I have to say that the 4N has been easier to grow and bloom than my 2N. fischeri seem to really prefer intermediate temperature year long and maybe warmer during the summer time. Also, medium light year long. Last summer I went to 17hours of "daylight" and my 2N plant developed some red on the leaves that I suspect was due to over exposure and it bleached a little. The 4N plant didn't care at all. It even bloomed on a growth that only took 8 months to grow and bloom. The 2N will bloom in late novembre as it usually does. The 2N plant also blasts at least the first 2buds. The 4N doesn't. At least for now. The 2N is in a coarse media of bark, perlite, charcoal that is watered every three days standing in a saucer filled with water. The 4N plant is in rockwool, coarse perlite, watered every three days, not standing in water. I water with tap water and adjust the PH at around 6.5 to 7 with either Phosphoric acid or nitric acid that I buy at the hydro store. Very light feeding year round at every other watering. During the growing period (spring and fall) I fertilize at every watering.
I think that covers the basics. :) I stayed a bit vague, because I think that you have to observe your plant and adjust the culture accordingly. We usually know or feel when there's something wrong. Right? ;)
Also, I'm still not quite sure what triggers it to bloom. But, under my conditions both plants bloom in fall. Wether I give it more light or less light, more fert or less, different potting media. The only difference I can think of when comparing with Erythrone (we have similar growing conditions) is that my summer max temp is around 27C/80F that lasts for at least 5-6 weeks. Hers is lower.

Thank you for the information. I have approximately the
same conditions, but I water every day with rain water,
the pot isn't in a saucer of water all the time and I fertilize
once a week with K-Lite. I dearly hope my tiny plant will
grow up like your plant. It's sooooo beautiful.

Thank you all for your nice comments. :)

Yes I know. You're way more patient than I'll ever be. I was just teasing you :p

I have two fischeri. a 2N and a 4N and I have to say that the 4N has been easier to grow and bloom than my 2N. fischeri seem to really prefer intermediate temperature year long and maybe warmer during the summer time. Also, medium light year long. Last summer I went to 17hours of "daylight" and my 2N plant developed some red on the leaves that I suspect was due to over exposure and it bleached a little. The 4N plant didn't care at all. It even bloomed on a growth that only took 8 months to grow and bloom. The 2N will bloom in late novembre as it usually does. The 2N plant also blasts at least the first 2buds. The 4N doesn't. At least for now. The 2N is in a coarse media of bark, perlite, charcoal that is watered every three days standing in a saucer filled with water. The 4N plant is in rockwool, coarse perlite, watered every three days, not standing in water. I water with tap water and adjust the PH at around 6.5 to 7 with either Phosphoric acid or nitric acid that I buy at the hydro store. Very light feeding year round at every other watering. During the growing period (spring and fall) I fertilize at every watering.
I think that covers the basics. :) I stayed a bit vague, because I think that you have to observe your plant and adjust the culture accordingly. We usually know or feel when there's something wrong. Right? ;)
Also, I'm still not quite sure what triggers it to bloom. But, under my conditions both plants bloom in fall. Wether I give it more light or less light, more fert or less, different potting media. The only difference I can think of when comparing with Erythrone (we have similar growing conditions) is that my summer max temp is around 27C/80F that lasts for at least 5-6 weeks. Hers is lower.

In fact, my summer max temp is the same as yours in my growing area downstairs. But the night are cooler. 18 to 20 C.

Back