First winter coming up with my babies orchids, and my paph maudiue red.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeafOrchidLover

Reaction score
I do leave them outside on front porch on east side during summer. I've been studying weather at nights. This Saturday or Sunday it will be like 60s-65 degrees F. And one night it will be 56 degrees F oh boy. Need buy few things. Humidity meter like hydrometer, to find out what's my humidity inside the living room.
I do have those fish tanks. I'm thinking hmm, I have the big one which is I believe 40 gallon tall tank or 29 gallon short tank. I don't know. Trying to figure out. What kind of humidifer I would need to buy? Spectrum light bulbs, don't know how many watts. Probably not need fish tank which I was thinking cause of pebbles inside with lit water as it acts as humidifer. That's what I was thinking.
It's just that my hope to see it live through winter, and I'm a lit nervous. My husband knows about it. He even says we do have some humidity inside. I've felt it but am gonna buy hygrometer.
Any advices? If would be helpful. :)
Have a great day!
DeafOrchidLover

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And one more thing I forgot to add! D-uh my mind because it rambles around. Heh. My paph maudiue red is still in bud, as it's on the way to bloom. Should I be concern about the weather temperature fluncatons? It popped up in my mind few days ago...

What kind of orchids are they? Probably no special set up needed. Just bring them inside and put them in a spot where they get light or under lights. Done.

It's only one paphiopedlium maduaie red I have right now. I may buy one more, I would luv to buy venustum. It's so different n strange and yes beautiful. Going orchid show this Saturday, heh.. Okay

Hope you guys can see this pic. :) First time bud, so little to now, very slow growth, thou. Two new plants growing, too... I will be getting a lit white clock that display temperature and humidity... :)

8d973ddcd3fbdfd9fcde77286681a00a.jpg
. Hope it is clear pic.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412187319.351211.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412187319.351211.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 15
just put them indoors under a plant light or in a south or west window. they will be fine in your normal house conditions. please share pictures of any new ones you buy!

And one more thing I forgot to add! D-uh my mind because it rambles around. Heh. My paph maudiue red is still in bud, as it's on the way to bloom. Should I be concern about the weather temperature fluncatons? It popped up in my mind few days ago...

There is a wonderful resource created by one of our members, Stephen Manza, that is very useful for understanding the temperature range needs of Paph species: slipper orchids.info/ Look at the data sheets.

Justin. There weren't many paphs as I hope to find. Not very many thought :( But I bought Brassavola cordata for my husband. I'm hoping to find more at orchid show in Orlando on oct 28-nov 2. Need to find pink brassavola, as I believe it's gonna be puuurrrfect late bday gift for my mom.

if you are referring to the slipper orchid symposium in Orlando you will will be sure to find some good Paphs. Wish I could attend one of these years.

I put many plants outside for the summer, not just Paphs.

As autumn approaches, I usually bring plants in by temperature tolerance, usually dedicate 3 different days for this. When the nights start dropping to the low 60's or upper 50's I bring in the true warm growers.

When the nights hit the low 50's or I hear the upper 40's are coming, the bulk of the orchids come inside.

My Chinese Cymbidiums and a scattering of cool growers are all in one or two trays, with these I do the in-and-out dance, bring them in when there is a chance of frost, back out when there will be a few warmer nights in a row. Some years I have had Cymbidiums still outside into early December. Some years everone is in by the middle of October. I don't have enough room for everything under the lights, so I keep the cold tolerant orchids outside until the very last minute possible. It seems to work OK. Except those years I forget. Did you know that new shoots will sprout from the dead mushy rhizome of Odm (Rynchostele) bictoniense? It was frozen to about 15 F (-4 C) and came back, though it took 6 years to get it back up to blooming size. Not something you ever want to do to an orchid.

Justin, I understand. I don't know what it's like over there. Must be a big show, hmmm...

Leo Schordje, glad to hear you got your orchid back to blooming size, 6 years is a long time. Thank you for advice. I have two fragrance phal hybrids, they have to be 65 degrees or above. I will take everything in if it reaches under 65 degrees.

There is a wonderful resource created by one of our members, Stephen Manza, that is very useful for understanding the temperature range needs of Paph species: slipper orchids.info/ Look at the data sheets.

Stephen Manza, hmmm! I'd have to look it up. Thank you very much!

Half hour later, I had to click edit because I would like to say something, it's very interesting and awesome information. I sure do have lots to learn. Thank you again! God bless

Latest posts

Back