First time to spike a multi ....

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Reaction score
Hey guys , maybe this is a little premature ... But I can't contain my excitement . This is the first multi floral I have gotten to spike ...ever ..and it's a Roth !!!!! Yey.. Anyone know how long it will take to bloom ?
Ryan

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 101
That is exciting Ryan. Look forward to seeing the flowers. I'd agree with Jim - about 2 months to have all the flowers open. I guess the more flowers you have the longer it will take. :)

Oh it from Sunlight nursery . The cross is Roth '266' x Roth 'red '. I don't know much about the parents other than they are Suposed to be vey good .. If anyone has any info on either parent I'd love to hear about them .?
Ryan

Oh it from Sunlight nursery . The cross is Roth '266' x Roth 'red '. I don't know much about the parents other than they are Suposed to be vey good .. If anyone has any info on either parent I'd love to hear about them .?
Ryan

I believe '266' is a seedling from the 'Val' x 'MM' cross. I have no idea about 'Red' though. '266' supposedly had 6 flowers.

I have the same cross and it is also in bud although not as progressed as yours. Unfortunately I'm going overseas in 7 weeks for 2 months. I expect the flowers will open up just after I leave. Most likely I will just have to cut the spike early to save the plant as I'm not going to see it anyway. A bit frustrating. I also have another unflowered roth in low bud I have been growing for 12 years. Same thing. It will be another 3 or 4 years before they flower again. :mad:

Given what you have been posting I can't believe this is your first multi flowering. They are a lot easier to grow than many of the Paphs you have been posting, especially in Brisbane.

Hey David
So I have been told . However I only started growing in 2006 and this year is the first year I finally have some big enough to flower . It's a shame they will be out when you're away . Let's hope mine opens so at least we can see how this cross turns out . I have a few more of this particular cross , but they are all about half this size .fingers crossed right ?
Ryan

I have two 266 x J. 35 inches in leaf span as of right now. These were the biggest of my roth including the z2135 x DF. 266 is a code for a particular cross

Anyways I have an 8-10 growth rothschildianum in a 5" pot. :rollhappy:

Here is Polyantha's roths with 266 as parent.
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33743

roth_jona1_zps18156697.jpg~original

Another 266 from Jerry
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25169&page=2

2022p.jpg

Oh wow that one is really nice form and colour. Well I hope mine has such a nice form . What are the specs of the flower .. NS and DS ??
Ryan

Hey David
So I have been told . However I only started growing in 2006 and this year is the first year I finally have some big enough to flower . It's a shame they will be out when you're away . Let's hope mine opens so at least we can see how this cross turns out . I have a few more of this particular cross , but they are all about half this size .fingers crossed right ?
Ryan

Yes, they are pretty slow growing, expensive, and are hard to come by here, especially the species which you seem to focus on. I have no doubt you will be flowering a lot more of these in the future.

I had two of this cross but the 2nd one was pretty weak and didn't make it. The one in bud was much stronger and is growing well. It has put out two new growths. Still yours looks a stronger plant than mine.

As you can see from the photos above, you can get some nice results from '266'. As I said above '266' refers to the cross 'Val' FCC x 'MM' FCC so there is definite quality there. Lets hope "Red" lives up to its name.

Here is another of this cross 266 x J from Gary -

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31707&highlight=roths

Latest posts

Back